• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1993 CB750...rebuild or sell

PVRider

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My neighbor just gave me a 1993 CB750. Here is the info I have on the bike from him; The engine overheated and seized a few years ago. It has been sitting in his garage since. Besides being dusty and dirty, a few of the turn signals are broken, the gas tank is not attached, but it is empty. He is searching for the key, so I am not sure what shape the inside of the gas tank is in. He replaced the front fork seals a while back, but I am sure they have gone bad from not being used in 1+ years. The tires are not in great shape. He has the seat somewhere in his garage (a bit of pack rat), so I don't know what shape that is in.

I am relatively new to motorcycles...I owned a Honda CBR250R for two years, but recently sold it because I moved. I am semi-mechanically inclined, but I've never taken on a project of this size. On my 250R, I did all the basic maintenance...brake pads, oil change, chain, etc. I have never taken apart an engine, but I am smart enough to figure it out with videos, books etc.

This is my question; Do I just sell it as a project bike (if so, what is a good price to sell for) OR do I take on the project of rebuilding the bike (would it be worth the time/effort of doing it myself, or just bring it to a local shop and let them do it.)

I will post pics later today, and if you need any other info, please let me know and I will ask my neighbor.

Any info you can provide will be very helpful.

Thank you!

IMG_5413.jpgIMG_5421.jpgIMG_5418.jpgIMG_5415.jpgIMG_5422.jpgIMG_5419.jpgIMG_5416.jpgIMG_5423.jpgIMG_5414.jpgIMG_5420.jpgIMG_5417.jpg

Last edited:
Update...

The engine is not seized. I took off the left side ignition cover and turned the engine by hand. Bad part, the oil that drained out was mixed with gasoline.

So engine could still be torn up. Enough fuel in oil and the cylinders scar up. Could have seized up then it releases when cooled off just like a 2 stroke with not enough oil in the fuel. A good seizeup like that always damages piston(s).

I've been reading a lot about seized engine in the past few days, and I don't think I'm going to tackle the project of restoring the bike. It was free, but it isn't the style of bike I like to ride. It's free to a good home, so if you are in the Prescott Arizona area, let me know and you can come and get it.

Probably a wise decision. The last two DOHC I got were free like that, but for parts only, owner incompetence took its' toll on both.

Back