• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Nighthawk Bobber Build Question

Althezenman

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello All. Longtime stalker, first time poster. I am beginning a bobber project on a 1982 CB750SC and am wondering about lowering and ground clearance. I am ordering a Cycle One weld on hardtail which has a 5" standard ride height (they will do lower ride heights upon request). I understand this to mean that a 5" ride height would drop the rear 1" from stock(?). With the right exhaust would a 2 inch drop in the front and rear be ok? Thanks.

Man all that is up to you, in no way can we possibly judge what you will be doing there. I say that with having gotten my last Nighthawk for free as someone else had pretty close to the same idea on it. The bike was garbage, I cannibalized it for parts. Extended swingarm and a hardtail on it that wiggled so bad at 40 mph you couldn't drive it safely.

Dreams are one thing, reality rules though. Since you have chosen yourself as the supreme engineer there it all hinges on what YOU do. Answer to your question is potentially yes but depends on how you do the work.

I know that most of the old school chopper builds only sit 6" from the ground in the rear, so I don't think an extra inch in the rear and 2 in the front will hurt, but you will need to check your exhaust clearance in hard leaning. You may need a friend to help you measure clearance while you lean the bike as hard as you usually do and see if you will be scraping pipes and foot pegs every few minutes.

Thanks guys. I think the stock ground clearance is 6 inches. I went ahead and ordered the Cycle One hardtail with their recommended ground clearance of 5", so I will just drop 1 in the front also to keep it level. Shouldn't be a problem for exhaust.

Back