• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New User alert: Hello all! 35mm Dirt Bike Forks Swap

Outtabeerr

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello all. I just bought and engine, frame and front end. I don't have much love for the frame (no title) but the engine and front end is what caught my attention (I was just in a wreck, the engine and forks are toast). I just discovered in the process of removing the forks for an even swap that one was bent. So just a thought, since I need new forks any ways, could I use dirt bike forks to increase the height of the front end and get away with it. I understand that adjustments are required due to the different weight of the bikes but I just really want to know, could it work?:banghead:

Dirt bike forks often softer for the extra travel, they will simply sag back down due the extreme weight of a four cylinder engine where they normally have to support much less weight than that. You may play hell 'adjusting' for that. As well, what are you going to bolt the disc calipers to, dirt fork brakes are crap on the street and can kill you.

Use street forks, that way you know you have the robust construction to survive emergency panic stops on the street, cars don't try to run over you in the dirt. (Usually anyway)

Dirt forks look long but compress way more with rider weight, you do NOT want them running close to fully extended, that decreases fork tube overlap internally and dangerous to do that. You lose stability the further out on the stanchions the tubes run. Wear increases as well from the leverage hit.

Having said all that, people do what they will do, nobody said we had to be smart about it.

Back