• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Vin plate

Hunterej

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Can someone please tell me if a 1978 cb750k has a vin plate, or the numbers stamped on the neck, or both? I want to buy a bike but it doesn't come with paperwork so I want to buy a frame to use the paperwork. Thanks kindly

The frame and the motor both have a number and they do not match. The title is always for the frame number never for the motor number.

OK thanks.
But the number is stamped or a vin plate that riveted onto the frame?
Cheers

Both. Stamped on left side of neck, riveted plate on the right (sitting on bike). DMV usually likes to check the stamped number, even if a vin plate exists. Stamped number should match the number on the plate. If the plate is missing, then the stamped number would be enough.

The frame and the motor both have a number and they do not match. The title is always for the frame number never for the motor number.
On Honda's yes, but, Harley Davidson used to register off motor numbers only, this way the motor could be tracked, even if the bike was stolen and the frame trashed. To this day, Harley uses same numbers for frame and engine

Back