• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Need some advice for buying a 1976 CB750

Logenator

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I am looking to purchase my first motorcycle as a CB750. There are a couple for sale in my area and I was hoping you all could provide some input on how I should make this decision.

The first is a 1976 and I'm assuming it's the super sport model based off the pictures, but the owner says it hasn't ran since it was parked 6 years ago and should only need new battery and carbs cleaned. It does have a lot of surface rust, but the owner claims there is no rust in the tank. It looks like I would have to give it a good deal of tlc to nurse it back to health and it has 50k miles(!), but it is going for $900.
white1.jpgwhite2.jpg

There's also another bike with a 1977 body and a 76 engine that looks way cleaner and well-kept than the other one, but needs new or to rebuild shocks, forks (included), gaskets and seals on engine, probably a new wiring harness, new ignition switch (current key was lost), and synched carbs. Other than all of that, the owner says it was running well before the key was lost. It also comes with a lot of parts/extras (the lights, tach, speedo, new cables, new break pads, new levers for the handles, new handle bars were just placed on, new tires were placed on less than a year ago, wrench kit, manuals, extra engine with a stand and a stand for the motorcycle). The owner says it has 20k miles and currently not in the DMV system. This also seems like a decent deal to me at $1000.
gray2.jpggray1.jpg

I would really appreciate your input as I am obviously a newbie here and don't know what would be a good deal and what wouldn't! Maybe if you could provide some prices for what would be fair for these, that would be awesome. Also, I live in the central coast of CA for reference. Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum, First they Both appear to be K models, The white one is rough and looked to be sitting outside for some time, It would take a lot of time and effort to bring that one around ( it can be done as ive personnaly made a hobby out of fixxing up ones just like that) The gray one looks better but you mentioned a lot of known issue's with that one. Also if it doent have a title thats a big issue for most. The extra parts and engine make the gray one more cost effective. I would not be afraid to get either one, but you will have a lot of work ahead of you. I feel the gray unit is a better buy as long as it has a title.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah the gray one seems much nicer and cleaner to me and leads me to think I will have an easier time working on it, which I would like to do myself, but I am not very experienced with working on motorcycles. It doesn't have the title, but the owner seems to be willing to put in some time/work to get it back into the DMV system. Thanks again for your input.

Back