• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Front Caliper Upgrade

SuperRat

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I'm the proud new owner of an 1980 CB750F and would like to do a brake upgrade. Does anyone know of any modern multi-piston calipers that would bolt up to the original fork without any extensive modifications?

Thanks,

John

I'd tell you that any '81 or later Honda twin piston ones for DOHC will fit but only 90% convinced of it myself. Not sure about spacing or the bracket bolting 100%. The calipers fit the disc size as they are identical but they don't rub as deep into the disc, ergo, the scrub pattern is narrower. Probably do, I just can't say for sure. One reason is that the '81 and later forks also spread apart another .300" or so and while for stability (wider wheel used on later ones) may affect the disc issue too. Thinking not but you would be the test guinea pig there. Better calipers of that type in your case would be the ones that do NOT attach up to TRAC, the antidive mechanism used on later ones. That's because the TRAC ones use slightly different mountings that pivot to work the antidive. You'll be looking for ones that do not do that, or mount solid.

Look for '81-'82 CB750F, 750C calipers. The 900, 1000, and 1100 all have TRAC as does the 750SC Nighthawk. TRAC can be identified by a rectangle shape molded into either one or both of the lower fork legs at the back, one of the caliper mounting bolts will attach to the fixture bolted to that rectangle.

Thanks for the help. Time to search the local boneyard for a pair

Back in the early '90s, I had a 1984 Nighthawk S. I played with the TRAC and adjusted it from one extreme to the other and could never tell the difference. Either it didn't work or my senses were not as hoaned as they are now. I have a feeling though it was one of those gimmicks that didn't really do much.

My 1981 CB750F (RC04 series) DOHC had two front single caliper piston rotors, so it did not brake at all, they where just "slowing" devices, so I bought two CB900F (Bol d'Or) wheels (also to get a wider rear tire) and the double pistons calipers did fit in my original fork, fixing points do have the same size as CB900F's.
Now it brakes much better but in fact I would like to try some better Racing pads ( CB1100R?) on it to see if it would increase braking power a little more... Where can I find these (aftermarket?) Racing pads?

Back