• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

80 cb 750 high rpm clutch slip

80cafe750

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Clutch was doing fine until I changed the oil I used valvoline motorcycle oil when I replaced it and now when riding if i get down on her the clutch will slip around 5k

May have been ready to go, I always had trouble holding the stock ones, a little bit of high rpm burnouts and you could have them slipping by like 5K miles. I changed like 3 doing that until I beefed up the clutch. Remove the twin plate riveted shock plate and replace it with two normal steels, they are same thickness. That shock plate is well known for coming apart to put the rivets wandering around inside the motor. The outside plate with wider tabs is intended to be an oil slinger for extra oil inside the assembly, why it has angled slots instead of straight like the others. That means though that if it gets put in angled backwards it will stack up more oil rather than sling it off to make clutch slip easier.

EBC supposedly makes some decent replacements discs for them. May wanna add higher tension springs like I did too.

80 CB750F
I'm having the same problem, when I really get ON it. I put a new/old clutch in it. What I mean by that is, someone on Ebay had an old, brand new in the bag, Barnett friction disks set on their shelf.
Must've been from the 80's. So, I'm wondering if this old cork clutch set doesn't like the semi-synthetic oil or something.
Is there a 'break-in' period for clutches?
Pressure plates looked good, still had texture to them. Replaced springs also.

In my world there is no such thing as a clutch break in unless on maybe a ceramic disc of some sort. They better work right right off the bat or junk.

I had no issues getting new Honda discs to light up the rear tire but they wear so fast like that they are dead in say 5000 miles. No spring pressure on them, you really need stiffer springs. I went Barnett and their springs too and bulletproof but the first clutch app always sticks discs together until you free them up then works perfect after. The extra load carried and the thin Barnett parts tend to eat into the clutch basket tabs longterm though. If the tabs already have wear notches then any new clutch in there won't work right, the notches hang up the discs from coming loose completely. Oil alone shouldn't matter but they WILL slip if anything like STP or other superslippery lube put in motor.

Back