• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

82' NightHawk Common Issues?

82Hawk

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey guys! New here. Looking into buying my first bike. Its a 1982 Nighthawk 750. The owner says it doesn't turn over. He says it needs a battery as well as a good carb cleaning. Can anyone link me any carb rebuild kits etc?

If it isn't just these issues, what commonly goes wrong with these motors? Just looking to see how much I will be spending here. Selling for cheap, and it seems to be in pretty good condition. I would like to restore it over/do some custom work to really make it mine. Only other worry is where I can buy quality parts for the thing.

Thanks to anyone who can give me some help. Really eager to buy one of these and have some fun, maybe learn somethings along the way.

Most owners never run the valve clearances and they then close up to make engine run like crap, then the kneejerk reaction is to tear into the carbs and disaster city after that. Many of the Honda dealers added to that by claiming cash for setting them but leaving most alone to run worse.

The alternator rotors typically fail pretty early to give charging system fits too.

The carbs are a bear to get clean CORRECTLY as many do not have any idea how to clean the idle jets TRULY clean as they are pressfitted in place on the early ones. They have a doubled ended seesaw type action between the idle circuits and primary system that drives people crazy too. To wit, you can have clogged idle jets (should be lean then right?) that in action actually make the engine run richer than crap due to that oddball seesaw action. After that it's people going to pods instead of the stock airbox and 8 times out of 10 the engine never runs right again after that. The CV carbs are extremely sensitive to airbox removal but conventional wisdom is still 35 years behind on that. Or, owner needs fixing rather than bike.

Other than that they are pretty much bulletproof.

Back