• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

How to tighten flywheel

80cafe750

CB750 Member
Reaction score
So I replaced my flywheel and it loosened up and made a knocking noise in the engine. The knock is now gone but how can I hold the flywheel so I can tighten the bolt up? Tried the rear back and putting it in gear and the bolt still spins very easily

A wee bit of butchery but you can take a pipe wrench to the BACK half (closest to the cylinder block) of the alternator rotor carefully and tighten it up, the stator must be removed. DON'T use front outboard half of the rotor, you can pull it in half internally doing that. Needless to say it will be scrap then. Carefully dress down any wrench tooth marks off the rotor OD with a file when done, if you were careful there won't be hardly any.

That is on a DOHC ('79-'83) motor.

That could work. Or use the strap but pipe wrench over it to grab between two of the 4 core wings. I save timing belts off cars for things like that, the toothed belt can make up part of a strap type tool cobbled up in seconds. Just whatever you grab make sure it's on the BACKside of it. The front is only glued down with a minor press fit, you can twist the rotor core in half. The center raised boss with the bolt hole is part of the back half core.

The torque there is high, around 75 ft.lbs. since torque is all that holds it on, there being no key of any sort.

Back