• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1982 CB750 Super Sport -- to buy or not to buy

armourbl

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I know, another new member asking if he should buy a bike or not. Please bare with me as I really need some expertise.

I've been pretty determined for a while now that I want to hunt down a CB750 for my own brat style build. I'm not a fabricator, but I can work on my own bikes down to the last bolt. My dad owned an 1981 CB750C since new, which sat for many years in the garage until I brought it back to life in high school around 1990 in hopes of making it my own. He gave me one lesson on it after I got it running, but I dropped it and he gave up immediately. But, that was all the instruction I needed and I proceeded to sneak the bike out repeatedly without his knowledge until he found it missing from the garage the day before I left for Marine Corps boot camp, so there was little he could do to me. Sorry, but I thought some brief history would help paint my passion a bit.

Anyways, to shorten this up, I've found what appears to be a mint condition 1982 CB750 Super Sport for sale. The buyer wants $3,000 for it, but it is more than I wanted to spend. The condition of the bike as me bouncing back and forth in my head as to whether or not this is the right bike or not. It has a lot going for it, and could overall greatly simplify the effort I'd have to undergo for my final vision. But the higher entry cost would also mean a higher final build cost as well.

I'm having trouble finding any information on this year and model. Does anyone have an sources I can read to understand this bike and if it has any inherent added value because it is an SS?

Thanks,

Ben

Doesn't have too much extra value over like say a K series. I have the 80 750F and as you know, the 750's are a great bike. $3K is a little high unless it's all restored and then you have to consider who did the restoring and the overall quality, etc. If it doesn't seem right then maybe hold out for a 900F? They really carry the weight better. Winter is almost here and a lot of people will be getting rid of bikes. Don't fall in love!

Well, where I live winter is best time of year to ride seasonally. You are right about not falling in love. I'll try to be more patient and see what happens. I asked the seller to let me know if he reconsiders my original offer. I'll touch base with him again in a few weeks just in case.

Would still like to find some historical information on this particular year and model. Just looking at pics, I can see a few things that are different that previous years. My Google searches mostly bring up earlier years. It is almost like no one really ever spent any time documenting this particular year.

ben

Solved the brake squeal today. Took the calipers apart, cleaned everything. Sanded the rotors with some 220 grit, and then cleaned them with brake cleaner. Lightly lubed all mating metal surfaces with brake caliper grease, including the pad pins and caliper float pins. Only done the around the block test, but so far so good.

ben

Back