• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

caught in the rain. engine took in water help!?

rocketman223

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I was just at the rec center playing baseball with some buddy's when a strong but short storm passed. I had rode my bike there and when the rain came I assumed it would be alright getting a little wet, but by the time I was ready to leave the bike startedd acting up. It started for a second idled rough then cut off. I could tell almost immediately water had gotten into if somehow.
I drained the float bowls on the carb and didn't notice any water. I also pulled out the air intake filter and checked for mister but didn't find any. I tried to check the oil for irregular deposits but the motor was warm so I couldn't tell much

After draining the carbs and adding some seafoam to the fuel I got it running but it was jumpy in the lower gears and wanted to cut off at the stop lights. By the time I got it to a friends house not too far it seemed to be running normal.

I'm going to take it apart tomorrow in effort to find out where and how water got in (maybe a bad seal?) until then its in a safe dry location. Hoping to get some advice on how to get rid of the water and any Ideas where my problem might be.

-1995 cb750 nighthawk 46,xxx miles

It,s probally just moisture in the electrical such as plug wires, electrical leads, check wires in a dark area to see any spark jump.

Water running down inside tank notch to get on coils and shorting them to ground is common. My DOHC was bad about being speed limited in that fashion, get over around 52 mph in the rain and you lose a cylinder or two, slow down and it comes back. Over and over I could do it.

If they use ethanol laced fuel where you are at don't bother with any sort of gas drying product as the ethanol is already doing it.

Back