• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Honda CB 750 -79 Cafe Racer -project from cold Finland

Project going strong, but updates to this forum too slow :(

Finally got undertray/box ready.

yleist_koko.jpg

Rear spring is still visible, but every electricthings can be fitted to the box.

boksi.jpg

I will fabricate fairings to cover part of "side triangles" so you can't even notice the box from outside.

yleist_taka.jpg

Few holes will be drilled to the box for removing possible water. Rubbersheet will be layed bottom of the box to remove any vibrations.

I already bought sidemounted licenseplate-holder but i will forget it. I will mount the plate front of the rear wheel under the box.
I know the police will not like my oppinion, but I can manage that :)

takakate3.jpg

Rear cowl designing started with polyurethanfoam.

takakate2.jpg

This is possible the version 4 of the cowl, and I don't like it. Has to be more lower and roundish.

takakate1.jpg

I can't recommend polyurethanfoam to this. I've been looking for polyurethanblocks, but can't figure out what is it in finnish...

...until I found it! Floralfoam!

Floralfoam is much better and easier to work with.

Unfotunately I have no pics of todays work, but I will post those nextweek.

I have already testfitted every electricparts to the box. Also found good size battery.
Seat is coming along and figured out fastening to it. Looks really nice and is very practical.

I didn't like headlight I bought so I hunted down Vrod headlight. Modern-look and still roundish :thumbsup:

More progress and pics coming on nextweek

Last edited:
Few pics of the new headlight

etuvalo1.jpg

For my taste, this looks much better than basic round headlight and fits lines of the bike better :thumbsup:

etuvalo.jpg

Bike is looking like a real deal...

kukkasieni.jpg

This is so called floralfoam which is much easier to work with than basec polyurethanfoam.

I suggest to use headmask with floralfoam because it shatters in tiny particles when you cut it or grind it

Last edited:
What does the top monoshock attachment point look like?

Is bike destined to use a solid engine mount 750 or rubber mounted 900 and bigger?

What does the top monoshock attachment point look like?

I don't have picture of top mount welded in the frame, but here you can see how we did it.

Also welded two reinforcement blocks longitudinal direction (?) to make sure, that no kind of force will break the mount

Is bike destined to use a solid engine mount 750 or rubber mounted 900 and bigger?

We are putting original 750cc engine back to the bike and use original mounts

Thinking I myself would likely add a bit of triangulation or cross bracing just above the front of swingarm mounting point, really not a lot there to keep the arm from warping the frame out of square at the arm mounting point (as viewed from the back of bike). The engine stiffens it up but then the engine cases get the warp. Honda revealed that as a problem back in the day. Of course removing the double shock may affect that, the two shock loads can interfere with each other to warp the frame. One not so much. Still, you have the power load coming into mainly one side of the arm..........

They also braced above the front highest engine mounts, the frame was warping due to steering head loads.

Your work so far looks most awesome............

Thinking I myself would likely add a bit of triangulation or cross bracing just above the front of swingarm mounting point, really not a lot there to keep the arm from warping the frame out of square at the arm mounting point (as viewed from the back of bike). The engine stiffens it up but then the engine cases get the warp. Honda revealed that as a problem back in the day. Of course removing the double shock may affect that, the two shock loads can interfere with each other to warp the frame. One not so much. Still, you have the power load coming into mainly one side of the arm..........

They also braced above the front highest engine mounts, the frame was warping due to steering head loads.

Your work so far looks most awesome............

Thanks for the comments!

You got a point there, so I will think about it and do some bracings :thumbsup:
I have heard about this, so this is something I need to check

http://www.cb1100f.net/

Bigger brother of the early DOHC 750................go there and register for free and if you dig deep enough you may find pics of modded frames like I said. Lots of them boys customize their frames with race mods.............................

There is some progress...

Undertray has been modified and all electricalparts are findings their locations

pohja1.jpg

As you can those black dots indicates places for bolt to be welded for fastening electricalparts
Also we drill holes to the front end of the box, where all wires will be going to their final destinations

pohjapehmuste1.jpg

pohjapehmuste2.jpg

To bottom of the box I found thin rubbermat that can be glued so it will work for mute some resonations

Also we will weld "cage" for the battery, that it can't move

pohjatukipalat.jpg

These kind of bracing will be welded and seat will be fasten to these

penkki1.jpg

I didn't like those gaps between the tank and the seat...

penkki2.jpg

...so this metalsheet will be bended and welded to hide those gaps

sivupala1.jpg

I managed finally fabricate sidepieces to cover big triangular holes and will be mounted with bolts

takakate1.jpg

Rear cowl is under its way and found this bended metalstrip which is perfect for my eye.
Didn't want to go basic "round rear cowl"

etuvilkku.jpg

Because the headlight changed which had integrated blinkers and had to found new ones. These small blinkers will be mounted to front forks

I still haven't figured out the place for licenseplate...

kilpi1.jpg

This way the licenseplate won't "break" any lines of the bike, but police will have something to say (atleast in Finland).
Well, i don't know...

kilpi2.jpg

This way it is too much on display and I don't like it...

kilpi3.jpg

This might be the best way, but looks too olds school to me...

Project is going strong atm, but as I promised year before last year, it should be already finished :laugh:
Right now I don't make any promises, but spring 2018 looks good :thumbsup:

Last edited:
http://www.cb1100f.net/

Bigger brother of the early DOHC 750................go there and register for free and if you dig deep enough you may find pics of modded frames like I said. Lots of them boys customize their frames with race mods.............................

I might look from there!

If any of you guys have pictures on your computer or can find url straight away to these kinds of bracings, I will be grateful if you post them here :)

Summer is here and bike is nowhere near as ready :D
But finally I have made promise to myself (once again) that this bike is going to be ready early february 2018!

Well, what has been done?

- Headlight brackets ordered from UK. Slightly problem with space behind Harley headlight and brackets. Bolt are touching headlight and I can't get headlight close enough to the frame. Have to work this out

- Bought new GSX-R front fender that I will fabricate to pleasure my eye more than previous one.

- The tank is at Mr. Moore Motorcycles, who going to modified bottom of the tank to be more flat, so it will move little bit lower and hide all ugly gaps

- Huge amount of brackets, bracings and other stuff cut from sheet metal. These have to welded on next week.
* sidepanel brackets
* bracings to the frame
* steering stopper have to be modified
* front blinkers brackets
* to the traybox I have to weld bolt and brackets to hold all electricparts
* brackets to hold cables and battery in good order
* new brackets to hold tank in its position after tank modifications
* bracings and brackets for the seat

One of the biggest jobs were to make decision where to put footpegs.

We made this kind of samples to see were footpegs should go and can then I could try drivingposition
tapit1.jpg

After we made decision, we cut samples to look more like real brackets that we will weld to the frame
tapit2.jpg

Don't worry, pedals angle will not be that steep :wink2:

I also ordered new adjustable footpegs, so we can move it around a bit if necessary
Pretty sure I have to make new shiftrod but that is not a problem

I started to fabricate rear cowl and made bottom base for floralfoam to be glue on

That was not easy job, because in Finland, I didn't find sheet foam from anywhere... :eek:
Talked to few enthusiast and they have made base bottom from plasticsheet

Bought sheet of black plastic and starterd to mould it

pohja1.jpg

First, forced it to the right shape with lots of pressure and gasburner. Have to be careful, because that plastic has low melting point. You don't want to melt your sheet to the floor...

After that I cut it to wanted shape and here is result of that :D
black.jpg

Finally this is what it looks like
pohja2.jpg

pohja3.jpg

After this pic I tied it again tightly to the frame and put some pressure on it, so maybe after few days it will stay like it should

Next step is to glue floralfoam to it and shape it like I want... Then lots of fiberglass etc... Lot to do...

Next episode of this project coming soon

Last edited:
Sorry for my lazyness in this thread... :shrug:

Summer has gone and it's chilling cold here in Finland
Project is going strong atm and I am determined to finish this project before the next summer.

Here is a quick update what's going on right now

Last of the parts has almost arrived

footpegs.jpg

New adjustable footpegs

mittaristo.jpg

Koso speedometer

Also new turnsignals, electricparts, lots of bolts and nuts, side mirrors etc.

Headlight brackets that I bought wasn't the right ones for this project. They were too tight, so there was an ugly gap between the brackets.
Also headlight wouldn't go as close to the frame as I wanted.

I found new ones (although they were pretty expensive) that fits perfectly to this bike.
kiinnikkeet2.jpg

Next step is to modify brackets and then the front end is nearly complited. Front fender cutting and speedometer brackets under construction.

Finally I got my a good welder, who welded multiple things

akkukehikko.jpg

Cage for the battery. There will be leatherstrap for fastening the battery. Behind the sidepieces, there is a space for wiring.

s_hk_boxivalmis.jpg

Bolts are welded for attach electrical parts. "Bridge" is for volt-meter, tunrsignal relay and mainpower-switch.

sivupala.jpg

Sidepanels were welded straight to the frame to prevent shaking.

takavalo1.jpg

Base for taillight

tuki_ja_jalkatappirauta.jpg

Places for footpegs and supportplates for the "triangle"

satula.jpg

I made new base for the seat. Next thing is to bolt fasteners to base and send the seat to upholstery

I didn't like the gap between the frame and the tank.

Tank has meen modified like this:
tankkipohja.jpg

And now the gap is so much smaller and more like I wanted it
tankinv_li.jpg

Rear cowl design is my pain right now...

Can't figure out how I would do it or actually how I will do the mold.
Frame bed is little bit too curvy so I can't lay floral foam to it like I need to...

floralfoam.jpg

Shit Shit Shit :D

I bought bunch of clay, that I can design easily. It came really good. (in pictures not ready yet...)

mold1.jpg

mold.jpg

yleinen4.jpg

Two days later, clay mold has shrinked 1/3 of it's original size and it was useless :confused:
Next thing is to go back to the drawingboard and try to figure out what to do...

Sorry for errors in my text. Writing this in hurry at work.
I will get back to you more often :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Rearsets are bolted to the frame. Looking good and riding position is pretty comfy :bike:
tapit1.jpg

tapit2.jpg

Headlight brackets (large ones/base ones) fits perfectly
etukiinnikkeet1.jpg

Unfortunately with these original brackets and didn't get my headlight close enough to the frame, so we will make new ones. Easy job and they are almost ready when I'm writing this.
kiinnikkeet2.jpg

Here you can see raw setup of the box under the seat and rear cowl.
boxi1.jpg

boxi2.jpg

Finally I found ignition switch that I like. It's from Harley (can't remember the model) but it looks good. Function is little bit different than normally, because by turning the whole body of the switch you can get your power on or off, without the key. Key is only for locking whole body, so you can't get power.
I also have main power switch under the seat, if I leave my bike for longer period somewhere...
virtalukko.jpg

Tomorrow back to the garage and maybe I finish taillight and headlight install, ignition switch and start fabricating speedometer bracket and front fender.
Next week I will put my engine on the bike, so I can start figuring out chainline and other little thing :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Rearlight installation is complited. Few holes, rubbergaskets and we're done!

IMG_6366.jpg

IMG_6368.jpg

IMG_6369.jpg

Seat is also ready for upholstery.

IMG_6374.jpg

IMG_6376.jpg

Here you can see four holes that we drilled. Seatpins will go through those by pressing it slightly down. Taking it off is also simple. Under the leather will be two small pulling straps.

IMG_6375.jpg

Right now, we are putting engine back to the bike. After that we can start figuring out chainline, shiftlever etc

IMG_6372.jpg

Have a good day guys!
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I ordered HEL Performance custommade steelbraided brake hoses and they look amazing :thumbsup:
I will upload some pics after we have testfitted them.

Engine is back in the frame! The job was actually pretty easy.

IMG_6438.jpg

IMG_6436.jpg

I cut original exhaust just to see how it looks. Pretty short one and the actual one is going to be custommade and little bit longer.

IMG_6437.jpg

Last edited:
Are you adding pictures to your posts on page 2? I see spaces where the pics should be. On page 1 the pictures seemed fine, but not on page 2...

Are you adding pictures to your posts on page 2? I see spaces where the pics should be. On page 1 the pictures seemed fine, but not on page 2...

No I didn't :confused:

I just tested with few browsers and on mobile, everything looks good to me...

Year 2018 is coming in speed and next summer is around the corner :laugh:

We have been fighting with the headlight for a while... Any of headlight brackets I bought, didn't fit as I wanted, so we made ones by ourselves.
Lots of twisting, banging and forcing...

Result is good for me and finally they came perfect!
etuvalokiinnike1.jpg

For my eye, Vrod-headlight looks spot on! I like it a lot! :cool:
etuvalo1.jpg

etuvalo2.jpg

etuvalo3puuttuu.jpg

Speedometer bracket was made from carbonfibre sheet. In pictures there is protectionfilm on cf, so it doesn't show clean and shine cf

mittaristo1.jpg

mittaristo2.jpg

When I bought GSX-R front end, start-button was broken. Hours and hours in internet and finally I ended the hunt. You can't buy just the button.
I borrowed unbroken button from my friends bike and forwarded it to 3D printing company. Next week I will see, how it ended up.

startnappi.jpg

Part keep on coming. Latest purchase was new ignition coils, ignition wires and sparkplug cups.
These were last part of original electricsystem, so everything is now new.

I sended emails for custom made exhaust and now I'm just waiting for offers.
Also emails sended regarding upholstery for the seat.

Brakehoses has been ordered from HEL Performance and they will arrive in next week

Next one on the list is fabricating front fender. Ideas are all over my head and goal is to make it clean and tiny.

Still trying to think how will I put licenceplate. Finnish licenceplate is huge and I can't figured it out.

Last edited:
Back