• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

81 CB750K Project

Rushman

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey there. This is my first post.

Ive got a bit of a long story. I bought my 81CB750K in 2010. The guy I bought it from had already done a pretty good Cafe Racer conversion (see photo). I liked it but immediately started looking at ways to make it better. Well, I went a few (or more) steps too far. I monkeyed with the already confusing wiring harness to install a GripAce system and removed the ugly switch packs on the bars. I also got rid of the even uglier Speedo/Tach pack and put smaller gauges. I removed what was left of the fender he bobbed and removed the center stand - mistake. I also turned the bars over to make a make-shift clubman bars.

I got the GripAce mocked up and working (sort of). It had the start, kill, hi, low and blinker functions, but there must have been a short somewhere as the blinker was "fast blinking".

Then I left the country. I spent two years in Mexico and two years on Grand Cayman. While I was gone, my best friend who was garaging my bikes, started to "finish" the cafe. He powder coated the exhaust (good), he painted the air tech cafe seat matte black (good), he bought two new adjustable rear shocks (good), he painted the headlight bucket (good) but in the years of him working on it from time to time, he has seem to misplace a few things.

I came back to the states in May and picked up my bikes. Last weekend I put it up on the lift and started taking everything off. I am going with a more bare bones approach. I plan to move the electronics back under the seat to create the naked look behind the engine. I plan to put in smaller turn signals and a far more simplified wire harness. i also plan to move to rear sets and add clip on bars, and will run a left bar switch only (hi low and blinkers) and put key and fuses in a small box under the seat.

Right now I am busy grinding off tabs and things on the frame that I don't need. My friend left one rear shock on because when he tried to mock up the new shock, he realized the bottom mounts were too wide.

So, this leads me to my question of the day - can I just add in some washers to take care of the extra space? My second question, is on the left side of the bike, there is what looks like a welded spacer possibly bart of the original frame, but on the right side its dramatically more narrow. See photos below. Is this part of the normal geometry of the frame, or something some prior owner did that I need to fix.

Thanks for listening and for your responses. I threw in a pic of my H-D as well. Cafe Former.jpgCafe Now.jpgHarley.jpgLeft Shock Mount.jpgRight Shock Mount.jpg

Back