• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Bringing another one back from the grave.

K2750tracy

K2750tracy
Reaction score
IMG_1157[1].jpg 76K No clue how long this has set or condition but it turns over and has compression the carbs are there and look decent. Im getting this running then the owner is going to do a one off hand built cafe style with a hand made allumiminum tank and seat pan/ tail piece.

Ok so after a week of changing the engine and trans in my 88 jeep (it finally gave up the ghost) I got a chance to look at the carbs from this bike. Disassembled them and was pleasently surprised at the condition, not to dirty and no corrosion. Someone had buggered the slots in the main jets trying to remove them, but it wont matter it's going to need bigger jets any way. Ill soak the bodies in the carb cleaner before i put them in the ultrasonic cleanner at work ( they dont like me doing outside jobs cause it dirties up their solution so I get them as clean as possible first). Did a compression check and got 165, 168, 162 and 170. So i'll check out the ignition system make sure i've got spark and then see if she'll run.

Well the carb bodies are soaking in the carb solution to get the major dirt and grim off them then over to the ultrasonic to get real clean. hooked the bike up to a good battery and got it turning over with the starter and checked for spark, had nothing so pulled the ignition cover off cleaned up the points and still nothing, changed out the condensers with some I had sitting around. got some good spark so I put a shot of carb cleaner in each intake port hit the starter an she roared to life for a short second blew a bunch of mouse crap and nut shells out the exhaust. I know its a viable engine now so I will continue to fix it up and make good runner out of her.:thumbsup::D

Will do. I have to get some wintergreen oil, the carb boots are like rocks on this thing. The carb bodies are coming out of the bath looking good but the orings on the bowl drains and A/F screws are all splitting when removed, So im going to need the rebuild kits.

I'll soak these in wintergreen oil and 91% rubbing alcohol. It works great makes the old boots nice and soft. And I have 3 other sets I need to soak also. And the intakes for my Magna. Thanks for the offer.

Carbs all thru the soak tank,I'll get them into work and into the ultra sonic next week sometime. Got the Wintergreen oil on order so should have the boots good and soft by the time i get the carbs done. Also ordered the carb kits from CB750 Supply.

I pulled the carbs from one of my other bikes and put on the 76 today, just too hear it run. Fired up and ran but I've got a popping from #3, hoping a valve adjustment will straighten that out. Seems to have very good spark and timing is on. The clutch was slipping at first but seemed to get better after a few runs up the gravel road behind my shop, little tricky with only rear brakes working LOL:eek: Waiting on the carb kits yet. The boots I got from Dan were in great shape (Thanks Dan) and only needed a day soaking in the wintergreen oil to make them nice and flexible for an easy install. I will never struggle with difficult carb installs again, The wintergreen oil and 91% rubbing alcohol soak is the best.:thumbsup:.

Carbs all rebuilt and back on the bike. Valves adjusted (#3 was kinda tight) its runs smooth now, no pops no hesitation. Now I have to fix the brakes then send it back to the owner for it's Café transformation.

Made quick work out of that one, Glad to hear it,s running good for Ya. I hate trying to get them caliper pistons out after they been in there for years sometimes a P.I.T.A.:doh:

Well the front brake is going to need a new caliper. The piston is really stuck in there, i couldnt get it to move with a good mastercylinder hooked up to it, so i put a 3000psi hyrdualic pump on it (done this before and useally works) This time the fitting i put in blew taking all the threads out of the hose connection port. (oil everywhere) piston never moved.

Back