• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Removing Front Sprockets

Perlmutter

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I've had some good help on this forum, so I'm hoping to get some more.

Let me preface this post by saying that I am not very mechanically inclined. I am teaching myself as I go along, so please be patient and keep that in mind.

Anyways, I'm putting a new chain and sprockets on my '77 CB750A.
Thus far I have removed the rear wheel. The rear sprockets are on there pretty tight, so I need to go rent some good tools to get the bolts loose.
I'm having the most trouble with the front sprockets. I removed the sprocket cover, but it's still pretty well hidden behind my transmission cover, so it seems.

See last two photos here;
http://imgur.com/0dgwF1f,QGbL6lU,UDj73Cy

I'm kind of at a loss as to figuring out how to remove these. As you can see, I would have to remove another entire cover, where there is oil, to better be able to remove the sprockets.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Sorry if I'm totally off base here, but the front sprocket bolts look like they'll come out easily with an offset box end wrench... looks like a 10mm from where I sit. I've not had a 750A so don't know just how buried the sprocket is, so I may be full of beans. Disclaimer: I also have no idea whether or not the sprocket will even come off the end of the shaft just by removing the bolts, but am guessing that it will. Hopefully someone with actual experience will jump in.

If you don't care to buy a set of wrenches you might try just going to Menards, Lowes, Home Depot, or Sears and getting an individual wrench... and if it won't go on the bolts, take it back. Here's an idea of what I'm referring to: http://www.ebay.com/itm/dowidat-dou...:g:FWEAAOSw4HVWDv3n&item=272014648009&vxp=mtr

Ah, yeah! That looks like it would do the trick, hopefully. I'm looking for some kind of tool to get in there without interference.

I'll stop by my local hardware store and check them out!

yes just take the two small bolts out of the sprocket then take the retainer off and the sprocket will slide right off. Leave the chain connected until you get the two bolts broke loose with a 10mm wrench.

Yeah, once I can find the right tool, I know it won't be that hard. It's just an odd angle for a regular wrench to get at with. I think I'll have luck with the offset

Me, I'd pull the foot peg, shifter, and side cover to get easy access to it instead of fighting it. Most often spending an extra 20 minutes getting things out of the will save you hours of pain. You could (carefully) lay it over onto a soft surface if you didn't want to drain the oil. You'd have to be ready to replace the gasket if it tore in two though and may as well pop in a new shift shaft seal while your at it.

PS - There shouldn't be any Phillips heads screws in those photos, those should all be hex head bolts with a flange on them.

Me, I'd pull the foot peg, shifter, and side cover to get easy access to it instead of fighting it. Most often spending an extra 20 minutes getting things out of the will save you hours of pain. You could (carefully) lay it over onto a soft surface if you didn't want to drain the oil. You'd have to be ready to replace the gasket if it tore in two though and may as well pop in a new shift shaft seal while your at it.

PS - There shouldn't be any Phillips heads screws in those photos, those should all be hex head bolts with a flange on them.

Thanks for advice. Managed to get it out. Just waiting for new parts to arrive.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the screws. I've noticed a few mismatching on this bike. I've thought about replacing them all, however some are stripped and would require being drilled out.

Just another thing to add to the list

however some are stripped and would require being drilled out.

The proper way to do this is remove the cover that the bolt is holding and repair the threads with a "helicoil".

Helicoil-Thread-Repair-Tools.jpg

Back