• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Can't remove spark plug.

Marco

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I have a 71 CB750 I just bought. I got three of the spark plugs out but there is one that the socket won't go in far enough to reach the spark plug. There seems to be no debris on the way...

If it is one of the inner plugs then more than likely the outside diameter of the spark plug socket is too large to fit down in the head. I use a modified socket out of the tool packs that came with the bikes as they are a stamped steel socket that is very thin. some of the head castings are too tight to get a regular spark plug socket in there.

Any chance that this one might have a larger hex and you just need a larger socket? Nothing else but debris comes to my feeble mind.

The socket is just not reaching down far enough to get to the hex. On another forum someone suggested getting a socket with a thinner wall. I'm going to buy one and see if that works.

Yeah, like dirtdigger pointed out, that's most likely the problem. I forgot that I use very thin sockets and again as dirtdigger mentioned, the stamped tool that came with the bike is very thin as well. You'll get it... just remember "patience" is sometimes key in working on these old bikes.

Back