• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

I need a new fuel tank, have questions on compatibility

Mogul345

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I bought a 79 CB750K and the tank, while it looks clean at the top near the filler cap, apparently has a bunch of rust near the petcock and cleaning it didn't seem to fix the issue. So I'm looking for a new tank.

I know that the 79-82 were all the same frame. Will the tanks from the various models (C, F, etc) of these years fit my K? Does anyone know the dimensions? I found this aftermarket tank on ebay, and it says it's universal. But I'm assuming there would be work on making it bolt up.

You can burn out the rust with acid, I would do that if I were you. Here is a typical guide http://donscycleware.com/howtoclmogas.html

You might be able to get another model to fit but the K had the biggest (and in my opinion) the best tank. I have a K and a C. The C tank was designed for "looks" it's at least a gallon smaller probably two. I'm always filling it, it's really annoying.

As for the aftermarket tank, why? Here's another K tank - exact match http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Honda-...oor-/301740559359?hash=item4641238bff&vxp=mtr

One thing you need to learn with Ebay and older motorcycle parts is be patient - if what you want isn't available this week, keep checking back it eventually will be.

The tanks all change where they meet up with the different seats and side covers. The frames appear to be the same but attachment points change all over the map on them.

You can use acid to remove the rust but it may show up holes when done. The acid itself will eat deeper into the metal, note that link dilutes it to slow it down. Straight acid out of the bottle can go through thin sheetmetal like tank in an hour.

When done rinse and whtaever you choose to do then do it INSTANTLY, the tank will already be trying to rust from your rinse.

If they add ethanol into your gas locally expect more rust, the ethanol does it.

Back