• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

80 750c upgrade charge system

mlbjb16

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm ordering a new anti gravity battery and it says to upgrade the charging system what should I do? Should I upgrade To a solid state? Stay with the points? I'm not sure where to go from here any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

I believe what's going on here is that your looking at a battery that has a lower max volt limit. I've read that Ballistic batteries can't handle anything over 14.3 volts or something like that. Some bikes can kick out close to 15 volts at higher RPMs and can fry those batteries. Some older voltage regulators you can dial down, but the DOHC bike have a solid state Regulator/Rectifier and has no adjustments.

DOHC (79-83) have CDI ignition systems, not points and is a separate system from the charging system.

Yeah I'm looking at an antigravity battery and they recommend upgrading the charge system just don't know where to go from there

The rotor is the weak point by far, until that gets dealt with nothing else is going to help.

And, the electronic ignition on these is NOT CDI despite what several manuals say, it is 'transistorized' which is most definitely NOT the same thing. It's an inductive coil type while CDI is not.

Back