• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Melted fuse block

SpyderTyphoon

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello I have a 78 CB750K with a melted main fuse block. The 5A and 7A fuses are fine but the 15A main is currently melted a bit. It did work when I first bought the bike and presumably it was always this way.

Now my main fuse keeps blowing, perhaps because I don't have the right type of fuse (fast, slow?) after replacing it. Should I get a new fuse block or am I getting the wrong type of fuse?

Sounds like your 37 year old harness connectors are starting to show their age. You will need a new fuse box, but until you do some maintenance, the new fuse box is doomed to fail like the old one did. As the corrosion builds the amperage through the circuits start to rise. Sometimes even the multi connector blocks will start to melt. You can buy just the connector blocks (the plastic part) and clean up the connectors (the brass parts). I have rehabilitated the entire harness of more than one CB750. Takes about two weeks working through the weekends and almost every evening. Manually cleaned EVERY connector:

Wiring1.jpg

Some of the worst connectors looked like this:
Wiring2.jpg

Vintage connections makes a tool that helps getting connectors apart:
Wiring3.jpg

Keep a notepad handy for those multi connector blocks:
Wiring4.jpg

YUCK!
Wiring5.jpg

A Dremel with a wire wheel is a POWERFUL tool!
Wiring6.jpg

Steel wool does a good job of cleaning rattlecan overspray off the wire insulation that some goob PO got all over EVERYTHING:
Wiring7.jpg

Nice!
Wiring8.jpg

Don't forget to bend the retaining tabs back into place:
Wiring9.jpg

Voila'! (as opposed to "Viola" which everyone knows is a musical instrument)
Wiring10.jpg

I then gave all the newly cleaned contacts a shot of tuner cleaner/lubricant: http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=tuner%20cleaner&origkw=tuner+cleaner&sr=1

For those connectors that were too far gone were replaced with new connectors from vintage connections: http://vintageconnections.com/
Be sure to use the smaller bullet connectors to match the stock ones (there are two sizes), and splurge for the crimp tool. Looks like a factory crimp when done properly.

Purple Power (or "That Purple Stuff") does a bang up job of removing paint from plastic without damaging the plastic. Use gloves when removing parts from solution and wash parts thoroughly. It does not appear to harm plastic, but it's a little rough on the skin.

The female connectors (both bullet and spade) are more difficult to clean (insert favorite chauvanist remark here) but the same principles apply. For the female spades I used the dremel w/wire wheel for the outer part of the connector (just to remove any oxidation that might promote more oxidation) and then used a narrow strip of tin with a narrow strip of 320grit sandpaper folded over it to clean the inside of the spade connection. A pinch with the pliers prior to reassembly to assure a good, tight connection finishes the spade connectors (don't forget the locking tab on these too). The male bullets clean up the same as the male spades, while the female bullets require either a small diameter wire bottle brush (.177 cal bore brush is a popular choice) or an assortment of small diameter diamond stones for the Dremel (my choice). Again, a little pinch with the pliers to assure a tight connection, a little shot of tuner cleaner/lubricant, and, if you did everything right, you're good for another 30 years.

While I was at it I pulled apart the switches and cleaned them too. Here is the rear brake switch at the rear brake foot pedal:

Before:
Wiring11.jpg

After:
Wiring12.jpg

If you don't want to tackle the whole harness at once (quite daunting) then start with the primary circuits starting at the fuse box. Clean all the fuse holder connectors and harness connections to the fuse box. Then inspect/clean all the problem connectors, especially those connections to the alternator. I did this more targeted approach (as opposed to the whole harness) with my daily driver a couple years ago after it started blowing the main fuse. Still trouble free after this form of maintenance. This process WILL try your patience.

Oh yeah, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!

For those connections that absolutely have to be replaced, I highly recommend the crimp tool to go with the new connectors:

Strip it. I usually strip about a 1/4" to 5/16". Three-eights is a bit much and not necessary:

001-VC.jpg

002-VC.jpg

Don't forget the insulator! (ask me how I know):

003-VC.jpg

I finally figured out (after about three tries) that it's easier to load the connector in the crimp tool first. Note the stepped jaw. The trailing end has a higher relief so as not to over crimp the insulation:

004-VC.jpg

Ratchet down on it just enough to hold it:

005-VC.jpg

006-VC.jpg

You only need about a 1/4" of insulation extended into the connector. Too much and you get into the part of the crimp that should be catching wire only. The jaws are pretty wide and hard to see inside, so I use my thumbnail as a guide when inserting the wire:

007-VC.jpg

008-VC.jpg

Crimp it!:

009-VC.jpg

Voila' (as opposed to "Viola" which everyone knows is a musical instrument):

010-VC.jpg

And finally, the insulator:

011-VC.jpg

Procedure is the same for other types of connectors, just be sure to use the right insulator. Here we have the insulator for the female bullet:

012-VC.jpg

Load the tool:

013-VC.jpg

Crimp it... crimp it real good... and voila'! (as opposed to "viola" which everyone knows is a musical instrument):

014-VC.jpg

Slide the insulator into place:

015-VC.jpg

Dang! This is how they must of looked when the bike was new!:

016-VC.jpg

Give the wire a tug when you're done. Occasionally I will get a loose crimp, but most of the time it is a result of smaller gauge wire. In those cases I will strip 1/2" of insulation and double the wire back on itself to mimic a heavier gauge wire. These are my go-to connectors for all things automotive. I will only use the "dime store" connectors as a temporary repair in a pinch. 8)

I have a CB550F that for some curious reason kept blowing main fuses when I first got it. The little holder looked pretty old but the connectors were not that bad. The fuse actually looked more like vibration fractured it, always broken across the element but no splatter of molten metal at all on like 5 of them. I simply rewired around the box using a weatherproof ATC blade car fuse in correct amp and then no problems ever again. Cost maybe $5 and been running fine now since 2008.

Back