• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Clutch plate "b" (22322-425-000)

DavidS0402

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I have a 1981 CB900 Custom with 24,000 miles on it.
The clutch has 6 normal steel gear plates (Clutch Plate A, Honda part 22321-425-000) and 1 unusual and at this point nearly impossible to find steel gear plate (Clutch Plate B, Honda part 22322-425-000).
I have seen this referred to as the "double thick" gear plate and I think on some of the DOHC bikes in the line, notably the CB750, it actually is a solid plate that is 2x the thickness of the others.
However, on my bike, Clutch Plate B consists of a single thickness gear plate with 8 curved metal shims riveted to one side.
When I opened up the clutch cover, all these shims and their rivets were floating around on the bottom of the housing.
As I said, this part​ is not available new anywhere, and I'm having a hard time finding a used one.
If anyone has a suggestion on how to replace this part, that would be great.
Can the solid version from a 750 or 1100 be substituted?
If I found someone with a soft touch, could those little %%%%ers (the shims) be welded onto the plate I have? They can't be riveted back on because the original holes have elongated and the rivets just drop through.
Any ideas?
Thanks, guys.
--David S.

There are TWO plate Bs thus complicating things. One is a double thickness steel riveted part and the other is a friction disc with angled slots instead of straight like all the others. The angled slot disc is the last one you put in, it has wider tabs to match the wider slot in housing right at the end. The double thickness one with the rivets was always garbage and now you see why. They come apart all the time. DON'T fix it DUMP IT. Two of the regular plain steel plates replace it perfectly, just put them back to back and go on. You'll never lose rivets again and to boot the clutch works even better like that.

This......

'single thickness gear plate with 8 curved metal shims riveted to one side.'

....says you are missing the other side of the steel, it was originally two steel plates with those little springs trapped in the middle. It's a 'marcel' or shock absorber plate.

All 3 engines use the same clutch parts other than covers and release mechanisms, not sure why you think the others are 'solid'.

BTW, that outermost friction plate B has to go on facing a certain way, it is an oil flinger, turned the wrong way it stacks up oil inside the clutch assembly to make for slipping, it's supposed to keep oil down to a certain point by flinging the excess off.

Back