• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Sparks all around point on 1-4 cylinder

750kjay

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Newbie here. I'm sure some of you will be exasperated at my question. I bought a 1978 CB750K that has sat for about 2 years. The tags were last renewed in August of 2010.
1. I need to remove and clean carbs.
2. Replace air filter.
3. Replace spark plugs.

The bike will idle but there are alot of misses. I aiso noticed that there is alot of sparks around the points for 1-4 cylinders. 2-3 points only show sparks between the points when they open.
After I completely clean out the carbs AND the sparking still exists, what are my next steps.

Thanks,
750kjay.

Sounds like the condensers are bad for the points. I would replace the points and condensers. Or on the 1-4 points maybe the points themselves are shorting... either way the best thing to do would be to replace the points and condensers or upgrade to aftermarket ignition and get rid of the points all together.

Hi Dirtdigger,
Thanks for the reply. I saw the electronic ignition replacements on the internet. I don't know of one I would trust since I lack the knowledge or experience of switching out points. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
750kjay

Lot of people use Pamco setup. Cycle X makes there own with several different configurations. I have only run Dyna ignition on my stuff and have never had a problem. If money is a factor go with the Pamco. If you want the best most tunable setup go with one of the Cycle X kits. Again this is all just my opinion though Im sure others will say what there favorite is. I have been working on them for years and I can get the points to run really well but they do wear and do require periodic mainenence.

Back