• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Float Pin Removal

jbird7262

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright guys, I'm tearing into a set of 1975 carbs and I need to know the best way to remove the float pins, I broke one leg off tapping out the pin, I know they come out easier one way or the other. I have 8 carbs but I don't want to mangle them up! I'm taking my time but I think I need a stronger penetrating oil. Are the pins steel or ale they brass? Thanks :banghead:

The pins should just slide out they are not pressed in. If they don't come out easy then they are corroded.

This set of carbs has not been run with fuel since at least '86, they are nasty and the pins are frozen, pb blaster soaking over a hour did nothing, broke 3 of the carbs bodies so these are now going to be parts, the ones that broke, I tried getting the pins out of the float bracket and the bushing that's sweated to the float bracket came loose but the pin doesn't budge. I'm sending my other rack of carbs out to be redone by somebody who does it for a living. I'll tinker with these then sell off the guts.

If you plan to replace the floats, you can cut the pins in the middle and pull them from the center.
Another method we have used is setting the carb in a small vice and using a drill press to drill them out.
I have an industrial ultrasonic cleaner and after 60 minutes soaking in that most everything slides out freely, if not the bodies junk and tossed!
Forgot to mention that heat and candle wax sometime work wonders on bound pins. Just use a very small torch on low heat and keep it away from the float otherwise you will have small fireworks display!

Back