• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Which model to build???

Mopowa

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I just joined the forum. I'm trying to decide which model of CB750 to go after. Right now, I've got a '71 CL350 that I'm in the process of putting back together to sell. This will fund my CB750 purchase. I ride an '83 XL600R daily, so you can tell I like the air-cooled stuff. I like the extra power of the DOHC motor, but what I've been reading makes me think that they are hard to tune in stock config(insert opinion here please). I've owned a '97 CBR600F3 ,so I'm itching to get that same sound and feel back of a DOHC, but not if it's going to be a pain to adjust thing all of the time. Anyway, glad to be a member here. Hope I can help a few "young bucks" along the way! Please give your opinions on the positive/negative of the SOHC/DOHC models.
Thanks,
Jeb(Mopowa) I'm also a Mopar guy.

The performance and aftermarket support for the sohc motor is far better then it is for the dohc motor. sohc motor can make good power but it takes some $$$ But the dohc motor has more overall performance potential if you have deep pockets. The dohc motor is reliable, its the stock carbs that cause all the tuning issues, they are junk plain and simple. Aftermarket carbs take care of the tuning issues. I have a fondness for the sohc motor and just plain dont like the looks of the dohc. It all depends on what you want, a simple daily rider, performance, racing, chopper, etc type of bike. Neither of these motors will give you the power of a modern sport bike, even stock 600's will out power these motors. The modern engine advancements are just to great compared to these old motors. Thats why I have a cbr954 for the fast hp fun and have the old sohc stuff for fun and complements.

Thanks for the replies. I guess that settles it, SOHC it is. :) Now I just have to finish the CL350 and find a buyer.

Back