• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Questions on Condenser, Points, and advancer reassembly

rob22

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello,

I picked up a CB750. The engine was running coils weren't sending a proper spark, or so he thought. He bought the parts to replace the condenser/points/advancer thing, I think.

Here's what was in the bag of replacement parts:
pB6n4bz.jpg

Here are all the "extra" parts that were in the box:
E7mIoJv.jpg

So I put everything in the first picture on the crankshft. But I can't figure out how to the cylinder thing gets the points off the... points...

Sorry if it doesn't make sense, Here's my question: In the first picture do I have all the parts need to re-assemble the ignition system?

Thanks for any help!
-Rob

In case you don't see it from the description, and if I understand your question correctly, the points are opened by the shaft that the tabs on the points lever ride on. The shaft isn't round... has a high (thick) side and a low (thin) side. So when the high side of the shaft hits the tab, the points are opened as far as they will go... then close again as the low side approaches.

It's been forever since I actually looked at the points on a CB750, so I my description may be slightly off somewhere, but you should get the idea anyway. The manual should give you instructions for adjusting the points, and after following those instructions it'll probably be obvious what's going on.

In case you don't see it from the description, and if I understand your question correctly, the points are opened by the shaft that the tabs on the points lever ride on. The shaft isn't round... has a high (thick) side and a low (thin) side. So when the high side of the shaft hits the tab, the points are opened as far as they will go... then close again as the low side approaches.

It's been forever since I actually looked at the points on a CB750, so I my description may be slightly off somewhere, but you should get the idea anyway. The manual should give you instructions for adjusting the points, and after following those instructions it'll probably be obvious what's going on.

oh yeah that makes complete sense i could see wear marks on part of the shaft and what your saying makes sense.

And that other link helped me understand what how to put everything back together.

Yes you have all the parts to make it work. Study the honda manual and how to do the adjustments. Sounds like you dont have any experience with points so be sure to do some research. You will need a timing light and feeler gauges to set the points, to do it correctly you should also use a dwell meter but you can get it decently close with a timing light and feeler gauges.

Back