• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

81 cb750 c randomly bogs then dies

Dbv421

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently bought a 1981 CB750C Custom. It ran great and had no issues whatsoever.

Recently, I removed the gas tank in order to paint it.
I also changed the oil and oil filter.

After painting it, I put it back in place and reconnected the fuel line to the petcock. Upon doing so, the fuel line split.

The line split about halfway down the stem on the petcock. It looked like it had a good enough seal, so I disregarded it.

After fueling up and taking it out, she was running fine. Then, completely randomly, it would start to bog up. As I gave it some more gas, it would die.

This happened very rabdomly a few times throughout the night. Once while going 35mph, and once while at a stop sign when I was just about to start moving.

Could the split gas line be an issue? I imagine that maybe it's ducking in too much air?

I should also add that after it dies it won't start up immediatly. I can crank it, but it won't start unless I wait 3-5 minutes.

When I cranked it I had some white smoke come out of the exhaust. Perhaps I have too much oil?

Thoughts?

Back