• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1979 750k speedo stripped

r0dembos

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey gang - so I've joined the club of many 750k owners who have had to replace their speedo cable....

Yet, when they got to it the screw for the cable at the base was stripped out (or they stripped it). Does anyone offhand know the size of that screw that would be needed to replace the one that needs to be drilled out?

Major headache for small job

Hey gang - so I've joined the club of many 750k owners who have had to replace their speedo cable....

Yet, when they got to it the screw for the cable at the base was stripped out (or they stripped it). Does anyone offhand know the size of that screw that would be needed to replace the one that needs to be drilled out?

Ok here we go! The screw size is m5, length 15, pitch0.8 . I assume the phillips head is stripped. If so remove the unit from th wheel and soak in wd 40 etc. for a couple of days. Use an impact driver if you can. You can also cut a grove in the screw and try a standard screwdriver. Before trying to remove the screw get the cable out. Unless original equipment the collar is plastic and can be busted.if you have to drill, the screw is steel the unit aluminum and eBay has replacements. Good luck. FYI the tach cable bolt is the same size and a better replacement. Just did this on my bike stored for 30 years.

Back