• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Carb issues / oil coming from spark plug

DildoMagic104

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey ! new to the forum hope I am in the right section, any way here is the issue that I am seeking answers for !!!! Soooooo I bought speedmoto 34mm mikuni carbs, it turns the system into only using 2 carbs instead of 4. At first the carbs were running great, bike felt like a completely different animal but now for what ever reason the left carb is leaking a unbelievable amount of fuel. My question is with carbs that have maybe 250 miles on them do the float needles stick still?? or is there something else going on that I cant think of ???? My second question which is going to become a problem of its own is that on spark plug 2 oil must have splattered out when I was reving it up any ideas ?? blown motor ? idk any help would be great if you need more details please let me know thanks !!!!!!:banghead:

Flooding carb, usually float valve has dirt in it, holding the valve open. Try starting the engine, shut the fuel tap, run the engine till it stops. The float valve will now be fully open, turn the fuel back on, if you are in luck the flow of fuel will wash out the dirt and the valve will close, no more flooding. If that does not work you will need to strip the carb and clean out the valve also look for fuel inside the float (punctured) that's a new float:( If the float level is adjustable reset it to correct level, it may be too high. Check your fuel filters too, it should catch anything big enough to cause problems with flooding.
Compression check the cylinders, oiled plugs could be piston rings or valve seals gone home. You should have a minimum of 150psi, any less you have to investigate inside the engine.

Last edited:
You can flood carbs 5 minutes out of the box.

If they sell ethanol up there in the local fuel the problem may be from that, the superfine rust ethanol generates can get past almost any filter on the planet and then it makes float needles leak and in so small an amount you often can't even see it other than a light reddish brown dusting in the float bowl. I have fits with it in Texas.

Is the oil on the outside part of the plug or on the part inside the engine?

Compression check really wont tell you where the oil is coming from. You can have 200 psi and still use oil, on the flip side you can have a 90 psi cylinder and it uses no oil.

There is nothing wrong per se with oil on plug THREADS. Normal. It can't be on the firing tip or in the end of plug up inside though.

Back