• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Battery not holding charge!

Jose

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello this here is my bike

1240538_705075129613556_6196034079248839419_n (1).jpg1240538_705075129613556_6196034079248839419_n (1).jpg

Now to get to the point. Bike doesn't hold the charge after charging it. I charge the bike, great, it works fine charges hold. When I turn it off, bam! Doesn't wanna turn back on right after I switch it off. The voltage slowly starts going down to 11.5. I don't know really how the charging system works I'm just testing all major components. I don't know wether I need to literally take out for a spin for it to charge because it reaches 14.4 volts so maybe I thought riding it will charge it. Here are my tests.

I checked the battery voltage it was a 11.5 turned off. I try to turn it on nothing. This time I charge it, it turns on the bike and holds charge at 12.8 idle and 3-5k rpm it shoots up to 14.4. To me this looks good. I check my rotor and use the two leads on the copper slips and reads 4.5 ohms. So that's check off right?

Next, I check my stator, continuity seem good and readings are consistent using the connector. I check the brushes and they look good to with visible slit as people tend to look for that detail.

NOW the Regulator/Rectifier. So this took me a while to figure it out because I didn't know whether I was testing it right. "0L" read for all my tests. I switched my leads and everything. I assume this is my problem because from looking at my tests it showed no readings.
photo.jpg
What else should I check in the mean time while my R/R comes in?
:mad:

If you're getting 14.4 at 3k. the bike is charging just fine. I'd check for good connections, especially ground. I'd also expect it to start even with 11.5, but taking the battery to NAPA or Autozone to get it checked would be a good idea as well.

It is a solid mistake to expect 11.5 volts to start a bike, that is simply wrong. You should have trouble at anything under 12.3 volts or so. These bikes have trouble making good spark under 12 for sure so will be almost impossible to start.

LOADTEST the battery, by above description it is DEAD.

Back