• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Hello guys, I'm new to this

I I'm back with an update! After needing two attempts to get the crank case to seal properly, I had to bust the case apart again because I went to loosen the chain tensioner while getting the cylinders on and thought the washer had dropped off and into the case. Never found the washer in the case, it must have rolled off and behind the workbench, one place I can't check. I've gotten the cylinders and head on now and here's where I have two questions.

First, unfortunately one of those helicopters that falls from trees apartently stuck to the back of the handle of my need nose pliers and fell off and straight down Through the top end and into the case. I can't see it, but I'm going to tape a smaller hose to my vacuum and reach it in the blind areas and hope it gets sucked up. It's small and should get crushed up by the engines moving parts, but I'm afraid it may plugs an oil passage before making it to the oil filter or being broken up into tiny pieces. Any opinions on the danger it poses? It's dry and the length is barely higher than my thumb nail. Hopefully I can suck it out and not worry.

Also I see to be having trouble getting the primary cam chain on the sprocket to go back onto the exhaust can. I have pulled as much tension as possible out of the primary tensioner and it seems just slightly to short. Any ideas? New chain, old tensioners.

Hopefully I can get this sucker buttoned up and sanded and painted by the end of my day of today, will follow with pictures of before and after!

I'm pretty sure I got the crud out, figured I would throw out how I did it for everyone else. I actually took my shop vac and duck taped a plastic tube that would squeeze through the top end and into the case. I used a quarter-sized hose that was able to create good suction in a larger area, but had a smaller size one too in case I needed to fit it deeper in. I used clear hose but figured it would be hard to monitor it for passing junk while maneuvering the hose, so I took a used fabric softner sheet and put it on the end of the shop vac hose then pushed it into vac body. I am slightly worried that I did not sufficiently clear the hose before I used it and maybe the helicopter thing I caught was one left in the vacuum from before, but I figure the chances of that are low, so fingers crossed I got it out or that if I didn't it will be alright! Still trying to get the camshafts and sprockets installed, but just figured I throw that useful vacuum trick out there for getting things out of an engine if you make the mistake I did in letting something drop in, saved me a third case split!

The carbs are well known for clogging in the idle fuel feeds. MANY will clean the carbs 15 times and not get that area clean. And varnish? WE are way past that now if they use ethanol in the fuel you have there locally. It will rust the inside of a steel tank to drive you batty. You MUST use some sort of a super fuel filter as many common cheaper ones will past the superfine ethanol rust like there is no filter at all. There should be a tube type fuel filter stuck up in tank after you pull the valve off, sometimes it's stuck to the long tube sticking up out of the valve. Provided somebody hasn't tossed it.

If not dragracing then the stock rod bolts are fine to use over again. They pilot the caps and rods were machined like that, proper changing of bolts has you remachine the bottom of rod for round again as different bolt can move around in the hole to make bore not right. Of course they don't tell you that when selling you the bolts. FYI, the bolts are NOT the weak link in these rids, rather the very small cross-section right below the pin hole, they snap there 9 times out of 10. The 900 is even worse about it.

By the time the bearings are shot the crank has wear too, the original color coded bearing thing doesn't work for replacement and the different sizes vary so little it's pointless to even sort them out. Best choice again 9 times out of 10 is just to go with all yellow bearing shells, it works out fine unless your crank is worn out and you won't be fixing that with shells.

Back