• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

81 cb750 f - Mileage gauge stopped working

annunz1ata

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone knows what I might have done wrong..

I recently replaced the speedometer and handlebars, perhaps I didn't hook something back up correctly?

My mileage gauage both total/and the push-button one don't work.

I can't remmeber If i disconnected any cables, I don't think I did...

any ideas?

Welcome to the site! Check the speedometer cable that goes from the speedometer drive on the wheel to the speedometer. It's more than likely disconnected, but could be broke. Or maybe your new speedometer won't work with the old cable. Did you replace it with a different style or a stock replacement?

Welcome to the site! Check the speedometer cable that goes from the speedometer drive on the wheel to the speedometer. It's more than likely disconnected, but could be broke. Or maybe your new speedometer won't work with the old cable. Did you replace it with a different style or a stock replacement?

no... actually, i replaced just the speedomter because the lens was cracked. i bought a used one off of ebay, and replaced it myself - the speedometer works, and i think the cable is still ok... but how would i tell? sometimes at high speeds the speedomter needle bounces... hmm. thanks for your help, i appreciate it.

If your speedometer works but the odometer and trip odometer don't work, then there is something wrong internally with the "new" unit. The cable is fine.

If your speedometer works but the odometer and trip odometer don't work, then there is something wrong internally with the "new" unit. The cable is fine.

thanks travis. i have the one i replaced... it was definatley better all around except for the cracked lens. you are probably right... the new one has a warped metal backing piece, and the needle is fded. well that sucks. any idea how to replace the plastic lens? i tried unscrewing it on both to know avail. is it even possible on an 81 cb750 to do that?

Back