• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Motorcycle tools and diagnostic equipment

Bohnzye

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, Does anyone here have one source for purchasing diagnostic/performance tools such as carb synchronizers, vaccume gauge etc....My mind is dizzied of googleing and I dont know junk from quality cheap or expensive..I'm in to this bike for the long haul and want to be profficient at maintaining it..thankyou..

I prefer to have the guage type syncronizers that have the 4 individual guages. They make the fluid type ( that look like 4 thermometers side by side) and the single type that you have to move back and forth between the 4 carbs which is a PITA and in my opinion less accurate. I like the guages be cause you can see how each cylinder is acting and how the intake pulse is because the needle bounces. Your carb synchronizer is are vaccum guages so no need to get both. I wouldn't get the cheapest set but you dont have to go crazy expensive either. The good ones have an adjustable vacuum damper that lets you lessen the needle bounce for more accurate adjustment, and they come with the adapters to thread into the carbs. Mine is a set that my dad bought back in the 70's and I still use so don't really know how the newer ones are good or bad.

Dirtdigger! :) Thanks buddy, I was just looking at manometers on amazon and have to agree with yah... I dont trust the accuracy of those fluid type and I feel a gauge is alot easier to read..... Do you use a dwell or timing light to set your timing?

You should use a dwell meter if you are running points. Reason being is dwell is the time the points are closed and is determined by the lobes that open the points as well as point gap. Dwell will help determine if the lobes are worn or still good. If you have no idea of the condition of the point lobes then you should check dwell but if you know the stuff is good then you can set point gap then set your timing. Remember that there is a little piece of felt that is used to lube the point lobe and lift block on the points, you should put point lube on the felt when the points are replaced....no lube results in worn point lobes and worn point lifter blocks. Dwell and timing are two separate parts of setting an ignition system. Dwell is how the spark is created and timing is when the spark makes it to the engine. If the motor is stock though and just want to get it running you can set point gap to spec then set timing and it should run good. If you have aftermarket point-less ignition all you need is a timing light.

The fluid sticks for synchronizing are extremely accurate. Accuracy shouldn't be a concern when deciding which type to buy (or make). You can make a homemade manometer for a few bucks with some clear tubing, tee's, zip ties or tape, a board, and some transmission fluid.

The only problem with the manometers is that it shows a steady vacuum which can be good for syncing multiple carbs but they dont show sudden vacuum drops and spikes. Other then that yes they can be accurate. I prefer the guage type because you can determine low vaccum issues, weak valve springs by excessive needle bounce, sticking valves, etc. An actual vacuum guage is an invaluable engine mechanical and performance tool. Coming from an automotive drivability background maybe I just prefer the guage as it gives me information than a manometer. I would say get what is in your price range because anything is better than nothing when it comes to getting the carbs synced.

Great information there. I have a single vacuum gauge and a manometer, but I can see how having the type with 4 gauges would be better for other things than just syncing the carbs. It would be easier than doing one cylinder at a time.

Bohnzye, is that all you're looking for regarding tools? Sticking with the theme of diagnostic tools, you definitely want a multimeter for electrical testing if you don't have one already. One nice thing to have anytime you're messing with the carbs is an axillary gas tank. Motion Pro makes one, but a lot of times you can make do with a plastic tank off a small engine.

Good evening Boys, Been spreading myself a bit thin volunteering here locally. I think I want to get away completely from my points ignition thereby not neading to set dwell etc if I'm correct... I really appreciate all the feedback from you veterans as I have long days of schooling ahead of me...

throwing this in kinda late about the aux tank travis mentioned. if you need a cheapie just go to lawnmower repair shop and get one from a junk riding mower. i use one with small rope looped around it and hanging from a beam in the shop. also the manometers work good. i have had a set of the mercury ones for over thirty years that still do the job. i have never used the gauge kind though to be fair,so i couldn't tell you there. just buy the best quality that you can,,i can imagine the cheapies would be crap. also for what it is worth,,harbor freight has a good chain breaker for under 10 bucks,and timing lights for twenty sumpthin. when you get a set of feeler gauges for the points,,spend the extra few dollars and get the longer ones that are curved instead of straight,it's easier to set the valve gap with those.

Back