• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Anyone ever use title recovery services for bikes with no titles?

crfnick56

CB750 Member
Reaction score
OK, so this might sound like I really screwed up but here is my backstory. I bought a 100% complete, running CB from a family friend (I should say stole it because of the price) that just wanted it out of his barn. He assured me he had a title but come to find out, there is more to it than that. I'm in Pennsylvania, he was in PA also, and the owner before him he assured me was in PA also. However, the DMV is telling him the VIN isn't showing up in their system because of what they call "purging old vin numbers". Basically what I gather is that after so many years of a VIN not being registered its basically just taken out of the system. The last inspection sticker is from 2006, so I would have to assume that the registration was also done in 2006. He bought the bike in 2010 but never registered it. I already checked with the state police and the bike is not reported stolen or anything so that is not an issue. The DMV told me that all he has to do is provide a proof of registration matching that VIN and the title will be, reinstated, for lack of a better term. The problem is that he never had a registration in his name, and the gentleman he bought it from has passed away, so I may be up a creek without a paddle. I know I could always go the "special/custom build" title route but I would at all costs like to keep it titled as a Honda if at all possible. I have been researching my options and there are a few of these third party companies that say they can get a title for anything but how reliable are they? Has anyone ever used one of those services? Is there any other suggestions you guys might have, or should I just bite the bullet and proceed with the special build title? I'm running out of ideas/options.

This issue is very frustrating from state to state as they all seem to have different approaches and guidelines.
Those of us that don't live in PA may not be able to supply any good info. I have had to pass on many bikes because the
seller claims "lost title" and "comes with bill of sale only". California royally reams the new owner for back fees
and title replacement even if the bike is "out of the DMV system". I guess I would figure out the cheapest method,
title replacement or special build. Good luck.

Ive also looked into this for a $400 truck with no title.
Im on the fence myself, the possibility of an $800 expense (worst case scenario) would seriously cut in on my profit when I go to sell it, but its borderline useless to me with no title, other than pushing vehicles around the shop, and as an off road rig.

ive thought about picking up a cab and "swapping cabs" but it also bring obvious risks if you catch my drift

If the vehicle is worth it to you I say go for it. Maybe give them a call first and try and get a quote

I live in south central Pa, Adams county. Pa makes it damn near impossible to get a title for any vehicle. Ive tried a few times and gave up. I will no longer buy any bike or other vehicle with out a title unless its for parts only. tommycarl has your best option find a titled frame and swap all parts over. FYI the White Rose MC is having there annual vintage jap swap meet and show August 14Th- 16th at their jefferson club house, well worth going if youve never been there lots of parts venders. I know 1 guy always brings a bunch of titled frames from bikes he parts out around $100- $150 per

I live in south central Pa, Adams county. Pa makes it damn near impossible to get a title for any vehicle. Ive tried a few times and gave up. I will no longer buy any bike or other vehicle with out a title unless its for parts only. tommycarl has your best option find a titled frame and swap all parts over. FYI the White Rose MC is having there annual vintage jap swap meet and show August 14Th- 16th at their jefferson club house, well worth going if youve never been there lots of parts venders. I know 1 guy always brings a bunch of titled frames from bikes he parts out around $100- $150 per

Well it looks like I am going to give this site a try and see what happens..... http://www.motorecyclenow.com/title-service.html The guy I bought the bike from has given up being any help and just told me if I don't want to deal with the hassle he would just give me my money back, but I don't want to do that. LOL.

As for the White Rose swap meet, count me in. I've always wanted to go but looks like this will be the year I actually make it. Will I miss out on a lot of deals and parts if I wait until Saturday to go?

I know here in CA. the frame number AND the engine number have to match
the original registration or you are out of luck. I'm not sure about PA.
hope it works out for you.

Saturday is the best day to be at the swap meet just get there early 8:00 - 9:00 am for the best selection of items. Let us know if you have any luck with the title service. Would be nice to have a way to get titles for some of the bikes i find and let go cause of title issues.

Back