• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Popping and backfiring

Bohnzye

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, my 78 750k is yet to leave the launch pad and find myself in more trouble.. My bike is in dormancy while I address other issues but I start it up daily... It has a 4into 1 exhaust.. and have watched the start ups take longer and longer over a course of weeks. When I do get it started the exhaust pipe continuously pop and an occasional backfire chimes in afterwards... Is this timing related bad points condensor? This bike was dropped in my lap after I had a 30 year hiatus of wrenching on any bikes....Thanks alot fellas...

After sitting that long points could be corroded and the carbs will need to be gone through. If something sits that long I would go through and do complete tune and adjustments of all the maintanece items and do a compression test. A lot of people lately seem to be getting old 750s that have been sitting for years. I would do a search on here about this.....we have talked about it quite a few times. With how many people are getting these old bikes back out of storage I think I should open a 750 honda shop and do tune ups and rebuilds LOL

Dangggg. Jbird is the paint pro, You have the wrenching talent and troubleshooting and neither of you live within crying distance of me...wahhhhhh.:) A lot of the Harley Dealers locally are capitalizing as you just stated and will now work on just about any japanese bike... I guess I have some learning to do if I wanna get this on the road and keep it running.Thanks so much Digger....

After sitting that long points could be corroded and the carbs will need to be gone through. If something sits that long I would go through and do complete tune and adjustments of all the maintanece items and do a compression test. A lot of people lately seem to be getting old 750s that have been sitting for years. I would do a search on here about this.....we have talked about it quite a few times. With how many people are getting these old bikes back out of storage I think I should open a 750 honda shop and do tune ups and rebuilds LOL
thats funny i was think the same thing the other day lol

Hey guys, my 78 750k is yet to leave the launch pad and find myself in more trouble.. My bike is in dormancy while I address other issues but I start it up daily... It has a 4into 1 exhaust.. and have watched the start ups take longer and longer over a course of weeks. When I do get it started the exhaust pipe continuously pop and an occasional backfire chimes in afterwards... Is this timing related bad points condensor? This bike was dropped in my lap after I had a 30 year hiatus of wrenching on any bikes....Thanks alot fellas...
ok so everything dirtdigger said is true but dose the bike have the stock airbox and exhaust?

I've been stock piling tune-up parts, you can find decent deals on e-bay, I got points/condensor kit for $28.00 free shipping, carb. kits from japan with 3 sets of jets (110,120,125) and a slow jet 40) under $30.00 and float bowl gaskets (no swell) $ 7.50. If that gas has been setting a while you might want to drain it , check the petcock filter and put some fresh fuel with a bit of fuel stabilizer in it, drain the float bowls and check if they are gunked up with varnish, new plugs, and clean or replace the points. Basics.

Back