• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

leaky carbs and high idling

AAchops

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Just got myself a 1973 cb750 chopper and it was obvious the carbs had problems, thing wouldn't even idle. I took apart the carbs and all the floats were off and carb 3 had a stuck float valve. Finally, I got the float valve unstuck and adjusted all the float levels to the level it says that should be in the service manual, cleaned the slow jets and mounted the carbs and the thing ran pretty well. However, now carb three runs gas from the overflow drain if I kick too many times while its cold. I think somehow the bowl is filling up from being flooded but then just staying full, but that is just a guess. I would say about half a cup of gas comes out after shutting off the petcock and if i don't shut it off it will keep dripping.

Also, although I don't have a tachometer on this honda chopper I would say that the engine is idling around 2k most of the time, but if I mess with the idle screw I can get it to idle nicely at what my ear would say is right around the 800 to 1000 range. But...if I lay on the throttle or a strong wind blows it'll pick up and rev pretty hard for a while then if I turn the idle screw down

I haven't had them tuned, but I set the air screws to service manual 1 and 1/8 turns out from seated and have been trying +- 1/8 turns on them to see if anything will change and I honestly haven't noticed a difference.

Looking for advice on directions to take. I live in colorado at like 5k feet and had a friend suggest a different jet size due to the altitude. I am thinking about just doing a full rebuild but I am new to hondas so I am just going off other forum posts and the service manual at this point.
Thanks

Thinking I should probably rebuild the carbs with fresh rebuild kits.

Back