• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

72 Honda cb750 electrical

creep

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I have a 72 Honda cb750 that I've customized . Only a few things and she rolls . Electrically I'm screwed on this one . This project started as a basket case and very little parts . Electrically I have what's on the engine . On the charging side I have a 8 pin plug . I'm updating the system and putting an aftermarket regulator rectifier combo box in it . This combo has a 6pin connector but with only 5 wires going to it . Then three wires that are not connected . My question is would it be easier to go out and buy a aftermarket wiring harness or make my own plugs ? The diagrams that I've seen do not reflect the upgrade . So if you have some advise please help out thanx !

My opinion... if you know which wire goes go where, and if it's way different than stock wiring, it would probably be easier to just get your own plugs. Very similar to stock; probably easier (and cheaper) to just get a used stock harness and use the parts you need. Somewhere in the mix is the option of just using the appropriate plugs from a stock harness.

If you aren't sure where the wires connect, that's a different question.

I would say it all depends on how much you are customizing the wire harness. If you are dumping the turn signals, and the starter then build your own. If you are keeping all the electronics stock, then an after market wire harness can be bought for about $80. Plug and play is a lot easier to work with than building your own. I've done both and the money you would have to spend in new wire and connectors may be a little cheaper than buying a new harness, but you would save the headache of building your own.

http://vintageconnections.com/ will have all the connectors you would need. As for buying wire, your local auto parts store would have what you need, but probably not the variety of colors you would like.

I'm planning on wiring a headlight and brake light and that's it pretty simple . I've downloaded lots of schematics for the bike so I have a good idea where everything goes . This is a customers ride so I want to keep it looking clean
51b0b2805e48b1d330a480372381c7b5.jpg

Oh yea where can I find the oil lines that go to the oil tank ? I have the original ones but they're too short . If I have new lines made can the fittings that are on the engine be found ? I've looked and haven't found them yet .

You can get bulk line from cycle x and make your own lines. I would reuse the fitting that bolts to the motor, the aftermarket bends that thread into plates can cause a very large restriction in oil flow. All you have to do is cut the aluminum crimp band off of the stock fittings and hose clamp new hose on.

Back