• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

17" spoked rear rim?

Gearhead 63

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I like almost everything about the early CB750 K models except for the ultra-skinny rear wheel and tire. I'm thinking that replacing the stock 18"x2.15" rear rim with a 17"x3" (or possibly a 17"x3.15"?) and using a 5.00"-5.10" width tire would be just about perfect for my bike (and fit without having to remove/modify the chain guard?).

I've been searching all over the internet trying to find a chrome 17"x3" 40-spoke rim that I can lace up to the stock hub. Haven't had a bit of luck. Can only find the Harley-style 16"x3" rims.

Anyone have a source for a 17"x3" chrome 40-spoke rim?

Found a good deal on a new-in-box 16"x3" 40-spoke drop center Harley rim earlier this evening. Couldn't pass it up!

So.... exactly what spokes will I need to lace that rim up to the stock '73 CB750 rear hub? [And a source on where to get the spokes, if possible!]

Looked at your gallery pictures (dan1951) --- looks like you've got a Dunlop on the 16" wheel (maybe a K591??). What size tire --- a 130/90-16?

Last edited:
I got them as a kit from Buchanans.com there not cheap from them like $120 on up. Depends on what You want You probally can get them cheaper else where but there well made. Yes it,s a 16" dunlop I will have to get back with You I forgot the exact size.

I got them as a kit from Buchanans.com there not cheap from them like $120 on up. Depends on what You want You probally can get them cheaper else where but there well made. Yes it,s a 16" dunlop I will have to get back with You I forgot the exact size.

Thanks! Please do let me about the tire. Looks like the setup I had in mind.

Yes it,a 130/90/16 it gives You approx. 1" clearance from the swingarm. You might want to go with the Dunlop K591 the D404 I have has developed side wall cracks after 5Yr,s glad I checked it this morning could also be from neglect of correct tire pressure.

I have a set of Bridgestone Spitfire (raised white letters) on mine. 130/90/16 and 100/90/19.

I got lucky and found a set of chrome spokes on Ebay. The rear rim already had miles on it when I got the bike but several spokes were broken and several more broke when I had it trued.

I have a set of Bridgestone Spitfire (raised white letters) on mine. 130/90/16 and 100/90/19.

I got lucky and found a set of chrome spokes on Ebay. The rear rim already had miles on it when I got the bike but several spokes were broken and several more broke when I had it trued.

I wound up ordering a Bridgestone Spitfire S11 rear tire (without the raised white letters) 130/90H-16. Just couldn't find a really good price on the Dunlop K591.

Buchanan's Spoke & Rim had the correct spoke and nipple kit listed on their website. I ordered it, but haven't heard anything back on the order as of today.

[Later today] Correction! Payment has been made to Buchanan's Spoke & Rim and the kit has been shipped!! :)

Now I have a LOT of work to do on the 750. Have spent/invested approximately $3000 in new parts and tools. Will keep and store ALL of the original Honda parts so I can put the bike back to original "on down the road". I'm thinking that I'll enjoy it for the next few years (set up the way I want it) and then return it to the original configuration in 2023 --- when she's 50 year old.

Last edited:
Back