• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

78 CB750 SS Oil Cooler removal LOCKHART

jodyhiroller

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I have a 78 CB 750 SS with a Lockhart Oil cooler attached. The previous owner added a header which was causing the oil cooler send and return lines to melt on the header. I tried multiple times to re route the lines but after countless failures and oil mess, I have decided to axe the cooler all together. I purchased a spin on oil filter to replace the entire unit. The filter seated real nice but upon starting the bike, it started blowing oil all over. I decided to use the stock oil filter basket and ordered a new oil filter bolt. I received the new oil filter bolt to find that its the same size as stock. Can anyone point me in the direction I need to go to get the stock oil basket to fit to the engine without the oil cooler in between the two?

Much Thanks IMG_5116.jpgIMG_5114.jpgIMG_5115.jpg

The ss had a finned oil cooler plate that went in between the motor and the housing. If you dont want to look for that plate then get and earlier oil filter bolt which is shorter and it should bolt right on. You really should run some sort of cooler but if you dont then I would use a little heavier oil then 10-40. All of my big bore stuff get 20-50. Honda also recommended 20-50 for constant high temp and constant highway travel. Are you going to sell the Lockhart? I may be interested.

The ss had a finned oil cooler plate that went in between the motor and the housing. If you dont want to look for that plate then get and earlier oil filter bolt which is shorter and it should bolt right on. You really should run some sort of cooler but if you dont then I would use a little heavier oil then 10-40. All of my big bore stuff get 20-50. Honda also recommended 20-50 for constant high temp and constant highway travel. Are you going to sell the Lockhart? I may be interested.

Thanks Dirtdigger

I will look into getting the oil cooler plate. I have a 20-50 oil as recommended by the manual. I imagine the bike will be fine as it does not see much highway use. The bike came with a front fairing, king/queen seat, rear trunk and bags. It was definitely set up as a cruiser. I am, however about 160lbs and won't have any riders and I stripped off all of the accessories. I think it will run fine without the cooler.

On that note, I will post some detailed shots of the lockhart. Any reasonable offer will be accepted once I get the bike running apart from the cooler.

Hi there Jodihiroller... any chance that you would like to sell the Lockhart oil cooler and adapter? I have a 1976 750F that could sure use it. Let me know.

The most time they tend to get oil too hot is from play racing from what I've seen, they then cool back off by simply letting them run smoothly on the highway. Put an oil pressure gauge on one and it becomes immediately evident. Even a stock 750 really needs a cooler if you do any rat-biking.

Back