• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Power to coils, no power to Plugs

CandyCruiser

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forum. On my 1973 CB750F...

Bike was running fine, then started running pretty rough after sitting in the shop most of the winter. I put SeaFoam in the tank, didn't clear anything up. Kept running really rough, coughing, spitting, cutting out, mis-firing, etc.

We checked the plugs, very dirty, so we installed new plugs. Ever since then, we're not getting any fire to the plug wires.. we've checked all along the master wiring harness, getting power everywhere all the way into the coils. Coming out of the coils, nothing. The engine turns over and over really well, strong. But no fire.

Is this as simple as it sounds? Install some new coils and I'm good? Or should we check something else..

thanks for any help.
Austin

Do yo have points or an aftermarket ignition? If you put a test light on the negative side of the coil it should flash as the points open and close. If it doesn't then you have a point or trigger issue. If it does then you have an issue with the coils or the wires.

Back