• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

cb750sc Nighthawk carb airbox

ronxae

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I have been reading a lot about air cleaner boxes on the cb750s. I'm a little confused about this subject.
Using individual air cleaners (rock catchers) (good god, now they called "PODS") looks much better than the original
"Air Box". The clunky looking air box on my nighthawk is replete with air leaks in stock condition, and had no filter installed.
I'm throwing my Nighthawk airbox as far as I can to see how high it will bounce. I will probably fabricate my own "PODS"
out of window screen and any other scrap material that I have laying around. I still can't get over that word "pods"....this cracks me up no end...
I guess I'm a dinosaur in the modern world.....

I tried "pod" filters...hopeless...just couldnt get it to run right....so I made this

Attachments

• IMG_2570.jpg
    IMG_2570.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_2572.jpg
    IMG_2572.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 188
I tried "pod" filters...hopeless...just couldnt get it to run right....so I made this

That's really nice looking Bailey. Is there a paper filter inside or is it just the foam over a wire cage?

I was lucky and my bike came with custom air filter. It uses a cotton like blanket between perforated metal cages, washable of course.

attachment.jpg

Hi Ronxae and all,

I had to figure out something for my bike too. It came with pods from the previous owner
and was jetted for them. But they were crushed and caked with grunge and not worth keeping.
Buying a stock box and replacing the jets was not what I wanted to do either, so I had to experiment.
This is what I finally did and they do seem to work reliably. I have no dropouts or dead zones.
But my bike is not a racer just a cruiser.

http://www.cb750.com/threads/1852-An-air-filter-design

I guess it's somewhere between breadbox and pods.
But yes, after reading much about this process on the
web it does seem most people don't like pods except for the look.
Good luck with yours.

You cats should study up on the concept of 'shared airbox volume' and how it affects vacuum which CV carbs MUST have to work correctly. The airbox is an INTENTIONAL restriction that in that case makes the engine run better with it than without it.

Try it and see which group you fit in, I had no trouble at all but then I've been building bikes and cars for 40+ years.

Pods can be made to work well but most seem to have some pretty big trouble doing it. The CV carbs LIKE having the airbox restriction, they run worse with it gone. The slides then slow down lifting and the snappy performance drops like a rock. Many have even more problems than that. Mistake #1 when the motor lays down is to jet up, CVs run WORSE when they are richened up, the slides then open even slower than they already were. Then it gets worse........oh, well... you'll find out.

Back