• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Rain riding and misfiring

raene

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I finally got my bike back together and out for a couple of rides, and it's been running great, but on my second outing to work I got trapped downtown needed to ride home in heavy rain. First time rain riding and I made it just fine, but the bike had some issues!

It was running great for the first half of my hour-long commute, but after sitting in heavier rain on the second half and moving into highway it started misfiring / clacking at idle (sounded like a plug wire shorting out to the engine rather than firing a spark?) and requiring some constant throttle to keep running. I was also enveloped in a cloud of mist every time I stopped, which got me some looks at stoplights! It's on the stock coils at the moment in the stock location, newish leads, and plugs with ~200kms on them.

Should I have to throttle up? Is it the engine getting cold while riding in heavy wind & rain and needing more fuel (should I be using the choke)? Is it the pods getting rain soaked? Reasonable to assume the coils could be shorting past the plugs to the body? Normal to see that much mist/smoke coming off the engine? Anything else I should be thinking of?

Had a bitch of a time tracking down some wiring issues before I got it running too, finally figured out the issue was broken / rusted out connections from the indicator panel to the headlight bucket... phew! After I de-loomed pretty much the whole harness. So I'm not ruling out that there's some bad connectivity or wiring issues still on the bike, but I did ride for 3-4 hours with the bike running fantastic before the rain started.

Pods will suck in the rain water and make the bike run like crap. I have that issue. I'm going to fabricate a rain shield for them and see if that fixes it.

Back