• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

should I stay or should I go

wired-1973

CB750 New member
Reaction score
So there's this 1976 CB750 on Craigslist...

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcy/4979395101.html

And aside from the owner not knowing much beyond what is posted, I was curious if this was in any way a deal.

I'm new to this forum, my name is Jason and this is my first post. I've only owned one Honda before, a 2007 rebel. I've been riding since 2013 and have had 3 bikes during that time. The Honda Rebel 250, a 2008 Harley Sportster 1200 and a 1993 Yamaha Virago 1100.

That said, I have also have minimal engine repair experience, although I'm very good with my hands and am sure that, with the right information, I could rebuild one of those two engines and get this thing running.

The end goal is to have a running 70's CB750 and learn about engine repair along the way. And to do so at a minimal blow to the wallet.

So, with all of that said, what do you guys think? Deal or no deal?

My OPINION only, for what it's worth to you...

I'm relatively close to you so THINK I have an idea what these bikes can bring around here. In the past 3-5 years I bought:

1. a titled '75 in Crown Point, Indiana for $600. Had to switch the blue and yellow sites to the coils because at some point they got mixed up... then had a runner.

2. Also near Crown Point, $200 another titled '75 that didn't run, but the engine wasn't stuck like the one you posted. I parted it out, but still have the engine.

3. Again near Crown Point (I had good luck there over maybe a 4 month period), a running '75 with no title. Parted it out also, but still have the engine.

4. Just east of Chicago, a titled running '72. Has a leak at the base gasket, so needs the base gasket replaced, which will also mean a new top end gasket set. I paid way too much for that one, but thought I had to have it for some reason... I really wanted a '71-72 and gave $1,000.

5. A '78 chopper somewhere I forget, but was about an hour south of Chicago... had an Amen Savior frame and needed plenty of cleanup, but it was all there and really had decent accessories. Was titled and engine wasn't stuck. I gave $600 for that one and kinda regret parting it out... but I did make a decent profit on it.

Shoot, I just now looked on Craigslist and see this one that I might even check out myself: http://kokomo.craigslist.org/mcy/4964135400.html
I could actually use a titled '72 frame for an untitled '71 parts bike I have. I'm closer to Wabash, Indiana than you, but this is the kind of deal I look for.

So in case you're still reading, I think the guy is asking way too much unless you've been doing some serious looking lately and just can't find a better deal... and have to have one relatively soon.

Back