• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Bringing a 1978 750F back to life after 28 years in garage storage. Brake issues.

Thanks again very much

I was hoping that would prove to be the case. :cool:

Remember, although the lock for the fuel door is just a pseudo lock (i.e. anything shaped like a key will open it), the seat latch DOES require the ignition key to open it. The good news is, you can disassemble the seat lock, remove the little brass "keys" and their springs, put it back together and it will then work just like the fuel door in that you can open it with just about anything that will fit. Then you don't have to worry about two different keys. :wink2:

Yes, I agree and I know about the fuel door lock as I tried it the other day just for kicks with another key I have that is thin like the original Honda key and as you mentioned, it is a pseudo lock. That is a neat bit of info on the seat lock also as I was telling my son that I will still have to use the original key to open the seat. Not a real big deal, but a little of a pain just the same. Thanks for that tip. The ignition switch I order was only 26 bucks and comes with two keys. Seems like a simple install and the reviews for the one I ordered said it was actually better than the original and it looks absolutely identical in the photos. I hope to have that in my hands in a week or so and will install it right away.

While you're waiting on the new switch, you might unplug the connector from the old switch and then plug it back in. Part of the problem could be connectivity between the plug and the switch. It might be enough to get it started and continue troubleshooting.

While you're waiting on the new switch, you might unplug the connector from the old switch and then plug it back in. Part of the problem could be connectivity between the plug and the switch. It might be enough to get it started and continue troubleshooting.

Thanks again madmtnmotors. I will try that at the next opportunity. I went to the DMV today and got the new license and registration since it has not had either for 27 years. Man, the Title looks funny. It is all handwritten and simple by today's standards.:laugh:

Well, it finally happened. I got my bike back from the local Honda shop. It seemed like they had it forever, but some of the parts needed were difficult to locate and the mechanic that was assigned to work on my machine, had an unfortunate accident when test riding a Suzuki Hayabusa that had been brought in for an engine tune up. On the test ride, apparently the rear brake was dragging and suddenly locked up while the mechanic was on the test ride. He went down hard and suffered a collapsed lung and three broken ribs. Sadly, he was the vintage bike expert at the shop so another mechanic had to be assigned the work as the injured guy was off for 2 months recovering. He is back now and getting better but still pretty banged up and he is about 60 so he will take a while to heal up. At least he had a good helmet on which he said likely saved his life.

Enough about that though. I did ride the bike home this morning and it rode great, just like it did the last time I rode it, some 25 years ago. I am really a little surprised that I wasn't more rusty, but like they say you never forget how to ride, because after all, it's like riding a bike! I felt like it had only been a few months since I last rode, not 25 years. I put 52 miles on it later in the day and everything seems to work as it should. I made several panic stops from 40-50 mph to test the brakes on a safe, lightly traveled back road. New OEM brake lines could not be sourced, so I had braided steel lines made to fit and put on which obviously, are much better quality and performance than the OEM lines. The carb was taken apart and cleaned, all new brake lines installed and a rear brake master cylinder rebuild was done. The rebuild kit had to be sourced from Norway! They are hard to locate. I had found the front rebuild kit and did that one myself prior to taking it in, but the rear was one I didn't want to mess with. I plan to put the Shoei sport fairing/sheild back on tomorrow. I had taken it off prior to turning it over to the shop since it had to come off to install the new ignition switch anyway. I also plan to reposition the shift lever up 2 splines as it is a little too long. My only issue is sore wrists as I have some arthritic wrists as it is and the 1978 series bikes had really strong throttle return springs so it is a bit of a workout, but I plan to put on a crampbuster wrist assist next week to help with that.

I will try to post some photos sometime when I get a chance. It is GREAT to be back on two wheels. Ride safe everyone:thumbsup:

Back