• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Alabama Voodoo (build Thread)

JDDay

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the bike I acquired some years ago. time to change it up a bit, been working on it off and on for a little while

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 193
Nice, how hard was the front and rear swap?
Can you give any advise and pointers?

I will try and get to adding in the build tomorrow, trying to find the pics of the front end seemed to have misplaced them, but I will go into detail, what parts are you using?

For now it's just a thought for a future build,
I've seen others that used the GSXR parts and it seems like a good way to get dual discs up front (which parts are available for)
while improving handling. Was wondering what your experiences were and how much
modification was needed for the front end? I can only assume the rear did require much modification
in terms of welding and chopping.

thanks

Well I cant seem to locate the pic on the front end, but it is a GSXR front, I got a new tempkin style bearings from all balls, this required replacing the races, (ordered for the 72) pressed out the stem on both triple trees and machined them , the lower triple tree was left a few thousandth under so that it would be a tight fit, put the stem in the freezer to shrink it and heated up lower tree to expand it then pressed it together insuring a good tight fit. I cant say this was the best way but it seemed to work, I may still do a pin or something to give me more piece of mind.
The rear is from a 92 Honda 600r F2. its just mocked up right now, but does not look like it is going to be to difficult, the chain and everything line up perfect. at this point I thank it is a good way to go, I will keep ya posted on how I deal with the pivot point but looks like it will be simply remaking the pivot shaft collor with the OD for the 92 swingarm and the ID to the 72 swingarm pivot shaft bolt and adding shims on each side to take out the slop from side to side. If anyone has any more proven ways to accomplish this please chime in
Thanks

I would turn some bronze bushing with the amount of side shim needed built into the shim, then you have a good bearing surface on the side thrust of the swingarm also.

Dirtdigger, you are correct I have some oillite that I will be using, the 92 swingarm has two bearings on that side I do not believe that I can get a bearing with the correct OD and ID, so for mock up I turned down some bronze to take there place but will change this to oillite for final, there are two oil seals on the outer side of both sides I am thanking of replacing these with bronze bushings and make them wide enough to make up the difference

Few more Pics

Attachments

• 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 194
  • 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 176
  • 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 154
  • 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 161
Rear end

Attachments

• NCM_0097.jpg
    NCM_0097.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 166
  • NCM_0582.jpg
    NCM_0582.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 171
  • NCM_0098.jpg
    NCM_0098.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 177
Swingarm shock mounts

NCM_0045.jpgNCM_0048.jpgNCM_0049.jpg
Worked on the swingarm a bit got some shock mounts, had to offset the right hand side a bit, took a few steps back on the pivot point, I thank I am going to keep the bearings and the pivot sleeve and have a new bolt made and open the holes in the frame from 14mm to 15mm. I thank this will be the best way to go, going to have to make some bushings that will replace the seals on the ends and will take out the side to side movement

What did you use for the seat pan mold? Any finished pics?

Not finished yet, I made a foam mold then fiberglassed over, it looks ok in the pics, but it really did not come out that great, however I know that there are a ton of video of the first step but no one seems to ever finish, I have a feeling that its difficult to get that high quality finish on it, with the amount of money that I have put into it already by time I am done I probably could have purchased one. with that being said what I am thanking at this point is to make a metal pan to go under it to give it enough support for my big behind then have it completely upholstered.

View attachment 5145View attachment 5146View attachment 5147
Worked on the swingarm a bit got some shock mounts, had to offset the right hand side a bit, took a few steps back on the pivot point, I thank I am going to keep the bearings and the pivot sleeve and have a new bolt made and open the holes in the frame from 14mm to 15mm. I thank this will be the best way to go, going to have to make some bushings that will replace the seals on the ends and will take out the side to side movement

Just an FYI, ended up making a new pivot shaft bolt and keeping all the swing arm bearings, and opening up the frame, the swing arm fits in nicely with only having to take off a couple thousandths off each side of the pivot shaft sleeve.

Yeah I haven't done much fiberglassing, but I've seem some friends' projects and they usually don't turn out as expected. Someday I'll give it a shot.

What did you make the new pivot bolt out of?

NCM_0003.jpgNCM_0033.jpgNCM_0032.jpgNCM_0031.jpgNCM_0030.jpgNCM_0029.jpgNCM_0028.jpgNCM_0008.jpgNCM_0007.jpgNCM_0006.jpgNCM_0004.jpgNCM_0035.jpg
Yeah I haven't done much fiberglassing, but I've seem some friends' projects and they usually don't turn out as expected. Someday I'll give it a shot.

What did you make the new pivot bolt out of?

Sorry, my phone died and I have not been getting notifications, I bit the bullet and sent off my seat pan to be cleaned up, figured at this point whats another 100 bucks, LOL, one of my friends turned one for me on a lathe, thank he did it out of some stainless of some sort. as with everything I will have to remake, he put to much thread on both sides, it will work to get things mocked up well and will get me thru the show that I am trying to get done for, any way here are some more pics,

Back