• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Worn Swingarm Bushings?

RidingSince1969

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I'm getting around to fixing up a K3 that someone gave me (yes, gave me) last summer, and while I was washing it today, I noticed that the swingarm has some side-to-side play in it. I've owned 30+ Japanese bikes over the past 46 years, but I've never noticed slop in a swingarm before. Is some play acceptable, or do the bushings need to be replaced?

OK, thanks. Like I said, I've never experienced worn-out swingarm bushings, and I've had bikes with as many as 72K mile. But I did experience melted ones once -- when I sent a swingarm to the powder coater without removing them . . .

The stock bushings are steel I think. They were hard to get out. The collar between the bushing and frame is some kind of plastic.

The k5 will be mostly stock. Lots of aftermarket replacement parts, a custom paint job is planned along with a 70s fairing and saddle bags.

Honda used about 4 different materials as the years went on. Honda also went from one greese zerk on each end of the pivot to one in the middle of the swingarm. Pivot bolts changed and all of this combined made the pivot wear out fast. If you cut a spiral groove from the center to the end on both ends of the pivot bolt it makes it easy for the grease to work its way to the bushings(if you have a center grease swingarm). If you have an early enough bike with a grease fitting on the ends of the pivot then it should last a long time as long as you give it some grease every couple thousand miles. The bronze bushing should last a long time and last even longer if you grease it often. You need to inspect you pivot bolt to make sure it is pretty smooth with no gouges or you will tear up the new bronze.

My bike has the end zerks, but who knows what kind of maintenance this bike had in the 41 years before I got it . . . I ordered the bronze bushings from Germany that grepper recommended; I'll install them when I have the back wheel off to put on a new sprocket. Thanks again, guys.

You have the good setup then. They should last a long time with the bronze. As with all aftermarket parts you will have to check to make sure you dont have sideways movement between the swingarm and the frame. Yours probably has cupped washers on both sides and not sure how they work with the bronze. You will just have to install the bronze and see if the washers work or if you have to have some made or find some washers that fit.

Back