• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Fitting cylinder over Pistons

Rusty_Gold

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Any tips or tricks? I just installed new piston rings and they're really giving me a hard time sliding into the cylinder jug

No real easy way, best way is to have a second person hold the cylinder while you work the rings with you fingers. If there is a decent champ fer on the bottom they normally go in pretty easy. Dont force anything that will only lead to broken rings. Do like travis said, check just a ring in the bore first making sure the gap is correct.

Yup they will work. Word of advice, take some fine sandpaper to the inside that will be touching the rings. If you dont the grooves in the hose clamps will scratch the rings up pretty bad. You also need to be ready to back off the hose clamps as you push the pistons farther in the cylinder because the pistons get wider at the bottom.

If the jugs are stock, there should be a taper to make it easier. If they have been bored out, the machinist may have not put the taper back in. A popsicle stick can be used to push the rings in. Don't use a screw driver as it will scratch the rings. Of course non of this will work if the gap is too small.

I had one buddy helping me the other night we almost got them all set but it was just a handful for the two of us so I'm getting another buddy and gonna try tackling it with 2 helpers, definitely going to try the hose lamps and see if that makes it any easier, will post back with results!

Also, are you only trying to do 2 cylinders at a time? Do the inner pistons first, then do the outers. Stuff rags in around the connecting rods so you dont drop a c clip in the crank. In all honestly they shouldn't go in that hard, I do them myself, yes I've done it many times but they really do slide in quite easy.

Back