• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

swingarm swap advise.

mrmauiwowi

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I've got a set of 2008 yamaha R1 fork and swingarm that i plan to mount on my cafe project. My questions are mainly about the swingarm and any problems that might be encountered. the pivot will have to be customized as the R1 is a larger diameter but i was curious if anyone has swapped similar parts (modern sport bike) and has any advise that may save me headache and $ that might not be necessary. Also I've had the notion to flip the swingarm upside down because it seems that the shock mount is nearly centered in vertically speaking and the sprocket etc can be moved to the other side (i'll already have to make custom mounts for the shock-to-frame pivot and i think i can make the brake mount work. I am an experienced fabricator and mig/tig/smaw welder if that changes the advice at all but I'm new to the motorcycle chopping game... Lets have it and Thanks guys!

Sounds like a project! I don't have much advice for you, but would love to see pictures as you make progress.

Travis

I guess one issue you'll have to deal with is chain alignment. You could probably measure the distance from the inside of the sprocket to the center of each wheel and figure out where to start.

Yeah I think this can be sorted but I will definitely post some pics as she comes along. I'm still hacking away at the frame and listing the to-do list at the moment. Having a baby next month so it in "project purgatory" for a little while.

54.jpg 38.jpg

I am also in the middle of a swing arm swap, been looking for awhile online, found lots of pics showing it can be done (finished projects) but no real help on what swing arm has been used. After some research I just picked up 1992 600r f2 swing arm rear wheel, brakes and rear sets, I tried to get all the parts matching to try and make go as smooth as possible. Like you said I thank the pivot point should be fairly simple, shock mounts no problem, as Travis said it will be at chain aliment that might be the most difficult. I already have the gsxr front end on. parts for the rear should be here next week. and I am getting started asap. I will try to keep you informed, I would also like to see you progress. good luck

should be getting swing arm Thursday, I will try to gather past photos and start a build thread, along with the rear end change

NCM_0076.jpgNCM_0077.jpgNCM_0079.jpgNCM_0080.jpgNCM_0084.jpgNCM_0088.jpgNCM_0095.jpgOk so I got some parts in Friday and did a little mock up to see where I stand, so here is the nuts and bolts of what I got, I order parts from a 1992 Honda CBR600 F2, I got the swing arm, rear wheel, rear brake caliper with all mounting, pretty much everything minus the mono shock, The 92 swing arm uses two bearings on one side and one needle bearing on the other, the 72 swing arm uses bushing with a sleeve. at this point for mock up I pulled the 2 bearings on the 92 and made a bushing to replace them that was the size of the 72 sleeve. the needle bearing is almost the correct size(21.345mm) so it fits in with just a bit of play, for final assembly this will be made to fit correctly. The width of the swing arm at the pivot point fits between the frame but will need to be milled down a bit on both sides to allow for some bushings or spacers to fit so that there is no movement from side to side, it fits between but you have no room to fit a spacer to take up slop. Here are some pics that tell a better story, sorry for the quality but it will give you an idea. I will try to get a build thread going for any further progression and post a link.

Hi, you ever finish this project, I

View attachment 5058View attachment 5059View attachment 5060View attachment 5061View attachment 5062View attachment 5063View attachment 5064Ok so I got some parts in Friday and did a little mock up to see where I stand, so here is the nuts and bolts of what I got, I order parts from a 1992 Honda CBR600 F2, I got the swing arm, rear wheel, rear brake caliper with all mounting, pretty much everything minus the mono shock, The 92 swing arm uses two bearings on one side and one needle bearing on the other, the 72 swing arm uses bushing with a sleeve. at this point for mock up I pulled the 2 bearings on the 92 and made a bushing to replace them that was the size of the 72 sleeve. the needle bearing is almost the correct size(21.345mm) so it fits in with just a bit of play, for final assembly this will be made to fit correctly. The width of the swing arm at the pivot point fits between the frame but will need to be milled down a bit on both sides to allow for some bushings or spacers to fit so that there is no movement from side to side, it fits between but you have no room to fit a spacer to take up slop. Here are some pics that tell a better story, sorry for the quality but it will give you an idea. I will try to get a build thread going for any further progression and post a link.

Im trying to do the same thing but on a 79 DOHC wondering if you had a pointers.

View attachment 5058View attachment 5059View attachment 5060View attachment 5061View attachment 5062View attachment 5063View attachment 5064Ok so I got some parts in Friday and did a little mock up to see where I stand, so here is the nuts and bolts of what I got, I order parts from a 1992 Honda CBR600 F2, I got the swing arm, rear wheel, rear brake caliper with all mounting, pretty much everything minus the mono shock, The 92 swing arm uses two bearings on one side and one needle bearing on the other, the 72 swing arm uses bushing with a sleeve. at this point for mock up I pulled the 2 bearings on the 92 and made a bushing to replace them that was the size of the 72 sleeve. the needle bearing is almost the correct size(21.345mm) so it fits in with just a bit of play, for final assembly this will be made to fit correctly. The width of the swing arm at the pivot point fits between the frame but will need to be milled down a bit on both sides to allow for some bushings or spacers to fit so that there is no movement from side to side, it fits between but you have no room to fit a spacer to take up slop. Here are some pics that tell a better story, sorry for the quality but it will give you an idea. I will try to get a build thread going for any further progression and post a link.
Hey how did this work out? I want to do something similar, but it’s difficult to find the proper swing arm. I have a K-1 Honda frame CD 750 with a K five engine. I want to do a modern more up-to-date swing arm.

Last edited:
Doubtful you will get an answer from the original poster, this post is over 7 years old and poster has been here since. I have heard the cbr600f2 swingarm is close to fitting but no matter what swingarm you use it will need modifying in some sort. Better off building custom arm if you really think youneed an updated arm then there is no guessing and modifying something to make it fit.

Doubtful you will get an answer from the original poster, this post is over 7 years old and poster has been here since. I have heard the cbr600f2 swingarm is close to fitting but no matter what swingarm you use it will need modifying in some sort. Better off building custom arm if you really think youneed an updated arm then there is no guessing and modifying something to make it fit.
Ok you thank you you seem like you know what’s up I’m new to the building process. I terms of performance handling is my current arm good enough? I’m not a veteran rider or anything but I’m a vet at YouTube watching cafe builds lol and they talk about the cafe stance. I want to get that right among other things, so do I need to change the swing?

A new swingarm would really only be for looks IMO. These are 50 year old bikes....with 50 year old frame and suspension technology. A new swingarm would only be a small part of the puzzle if you want to improve handling etc. Shocks are more important than the swingarm for functionality. The whole cafe thing is about looks and overdone in my opinion anyway....everyone builds "cafe" bikes. but hey do what you like! Swingarm not really needed for the cafe look. These bikes will never handle or perform like modern bikes so the cafe look is just for looks in the end.

A new swingarm would really only be for looks IMO. These are 50 year old bikes....with 50 year old frame and suspension technology. A new swingarm would only be a small part of the puzzle if you want to improve handling etc. Shocks are more important than the swingarm for functionality. The whole cafe thing is about looks and overdone in my opinion anyway....everyone builds "cafe" bikes. but hey do what you like! Swingarm not really needed for the cafe look. These bikes will never handle or perform like modern bikes so the cafe look is just for looks in the end.
Ok I here you I’ll keep things in perspective your right change out the bearings powder coat or not and call it a day thanks agin. hey one more question what about rear disc breaks larger will they fit?

Back