• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

First time bike owner and new project

numinex

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I just bought my first bike a couple weeks ago. Its a 1982 cb750c. Got it from a coworker. It did not run when I bought it but we figured out why pretty shortly into finding out the issues with the bike. The fuel tank had rust in it. When I took the fuel shut off valve off the tank nothing would drain, so I am assuming that was the cause it died on his last ride three years ago with it. It turns over just doesn't get fuel. The frame looks to be in pretty good shape, little rust spots here and there. The front brake lines leak a little bit so they will need to be replaced. Once I get it running it should make for a fun bike for riding around this summer.

WP_20150308_20_28_28_Pro.jpg

After this summer I really want to start making it more modern looking, a new seat and handlebars, exhaust and what not. It should be a fun time building this bike up, I always enjoy a good project. For now though, I just want to bring it back to life.

Time for a little update. I cleaned out the tank with that wd40 rust remover stuff you can get at WalMart or fleet farm. Worked pretty good, I let it sit for a couple days moving it around every once in awhile so that rust remover could sit on different spots. I am going to run some BB's through it next to get every last bit of rust out of there still. I pulled the carbs off with help from my mechanic roommate, and took out the air cleaner and battery box. Some little rodent must have got in the air cleaner cause of all the plastic and nest materials that where in there.
I pulled apart the carbs, cleaned the jets and what not. 3 of the 4 carbs where dry and didn't require much cleaning. My room mate is taking it to his work to do that ultrasonic cleaning so that will be nice. I do need some new gaskets and o-rings though, they were in pretty rough shape.

I finally got the carbs put back together, bought a rebuild kit that worked out nice. Waiting on a new petcock, ordered one with 18mmx1mm threads, hope that's the right threads for an 81' custom. The measurements I took off the tank were a little over the 18mm but not quite to 19mm. Bought some new handlebars and grips also, waiting on them as well. They are euro handlebars with grips that look pretty stock.
I also found out that the chain seems to come loose often from my coworker that I bought the bike from. Any tips or tricks on that, I have never tightened or centered a chain a wheel before.

Welcome to motorcycling! I think you made a wise choice starting with a CB750 - should treat you well. My first bike was a 1967 Triumph Tiger 650 which was great too. Only one carb compared to four! I just bought my first Honda so I am with you on that, although I have been riding for 30 years. Sounds like you have a good handle on what you need to do to the bike to get it going - now you need to work on the riding aspect. Ever ride before? One tip is treat every other cage driver as if they intend to kill you. Also watch for dirt and gravel on the road, especially at intersections and especially in the Spring. Best of luck bro! I think this forum will benefit both of us greatly.

Yeah the four carbs are proving to be my biggest challenge, waiting for my room mate to help me get them back on the bike, but I have them cleaned and put together. I have rode on a dirt bike in a pretty soft field and managed not to wipe out, even though I had a couple close calls when I was turning and or trying to get going. I will be taking a beginners class I think. If there is room, otherwise I will get my permit and putz around the parking lot for awhile till I get the throttle control and braking down. Since I bought the bike I actually have been looking at other motorcycle riders on the street to see how they go about handling traffic and determining if they are doing it in a safe manner or not, I think that will help out quite a bit.

I am sure you will be fine. It's a strange paradox perhaps as you know, but when turning you push right to turn right and vice-versa - which is counter-intuitive but true - this takes some getting used to. The greatest risk on the road is most definitely cage drivers - particularly the young and old. The young are distracted on cell phones and the old can't see or hear! Tailgaters are another concern of course.

So the petcock threads of 18x1 mm are to small for the threads on the tank. The threads look crappy and rusted anyways so I am gonna machine some 18x1 on a bar and drill out the center and have that welded on the tank, that should work pretty decent. I changed all of the fuel lines. Now I just need to put it together, and get new brake lines. I have pics, I just need to get my computer working again.

New update. The bike is running. Not very well but it runs. Got the carbs back on after wrestling with them for awhile. I kind of ran out of skill and know how on my end so I waited for my roommate to help me out. And it took forever to find that one video on youtube that shows how to do it and then the carbs went back in like nothing.
I had to reroute the throttle cables. I noticed that the throttle grip would not snap back into its normal position on its own when the bars were turned to the left or center. There was to big of bend and they were routed right underneath the headlight in between a couple tight spots. I unhooked them, rerouted them a little lower on the frame, and they work fine now.
I never got the new threads on the tank. I found a guy who was going to weld it on but he couldn't get all the water out of the tank. So he wouldn't do it. But he did clean out the old petcock to the point where it is reusable with a little retro fitting of the new petcock stem and filters that fit pretty good into the old petcock.
I bought a new battery since the old one was dead and all of the electrical works so far.
What is a good oil for this bike? I thought the stuff I had would work but my roommate disagrees. He is probably right. It is some resolute 10w-40. Had some lying around from my old car when I had it.
I need an air filter now.
I checked the front brake calipers, everything is in working order, the pistons are not stuck and the pads have plenty of meat on them. I am going to bleed the brakes though since I emptied most of the brake fluid when I was changing handlebars.
Here is some pics of it as it sits this morning.
WP_20150617_06_06_17_Pro.jpgWP_20150617_06_06_04_Pro.jpgWP_20150617_06_05_56_Pro.jpg

And here are some old pics that I was going to put up a while ago but got lazy and found gta 5 again and forgot.

WP_20150321_16_01_51_Pro.jpg
WP_20150321_16_02_14_Pro.jpg
WP_20150326_07_08_17_Pro.jpg
WP_20150329_001.jpg

Back