• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Springer front end bounce

Swany3027

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any advice on getting rid of some bounce I'm having in my front end when I get up to 80-90 km/hr? When I accelerate it seems to be a bit worse? Any thoughts? Thx

I'm not sure if here is much you can do. Springers are by nature springy. Are the neck bearings in good shape and tight? Does it wobble any?

does it bounce at all during slower speeds, mine did that because tire wasn' set rim

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on getting rid of some bounce I'm having in my front end when I get up to 80-90 km/hr? When I accelerate it seems to be a bit worse? Any thoughts? Thx

Does it bounce at slower speeds, mine did that because the tire wasn't set right on rim

springer bounce

Although I don't normally do it balancing tire might help that if the tire seems to be provoking it.

Not true on balancing, i just had a recent problem, i put cheap tire on myself and it bounced, increased with speed, i started adjusting springs on my springer and so forth didn't work. Went to a tire guy who balanced it, he was suppose to be the best, i told him the problem and asked if it would help to remove tire and reset bead, he said no those cheap tires are a problem, ill sell you a good one. I left and myself and a friend removed tire reset it with lots of air pressure at first then brought it back to correct pressure, that front end rides like it always had in the past with expensive tires smooth, never re balanced it.

the only other time my springer bounced was because the rake wasn't enough where front of motor was not level with the bike, raked it a little more to where the frame was more level with the ground and solved the problem, been riding that bike almost 30 years.

I said it 'might' help. I myself do not generally balance tires and driving 3 cars now without a single balance weight on them at all. The cars will run 80 mph all day long.

I said it because a balance condition can aggravate springer type suspensions, it's inherent in the design to modify other oscillatory motions. Balance and out of round are two absolutely different things, you cannot rebalance an out of round condition to run smooth, it being impossible.

If the spring rate is not correct for the bike weight you can adjust all day long and still have issues. The springiness can easily be a shortage of damping too. Springs support weight only, they do not damp other than in temporary windup, that windup must then come back out and where the bounce back comes from.

Back