• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

77' Cb750K fuel tank lock mech??

Nova

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Where do i get a fuel tank lock at? I bought a tank off of ebay thas has fuel door but no keys. Is there a cheat around this? I have w sets of other keys and a fuel cap key from another bike. No sure how to fix this issue. New to thw CB world. Thanks

I've never picked one of those fuel door type locks before, but I have done others.
If you have an other tank with the same mechanism you can study it and figure out what needs to move to pop the lock open.

If you've changed the wipers on your car lately, save a blade. Often there is a thin, but strong metal strip inside wiper blades. From there, you can bend it in such a way to catch and pull what you need to pop the lock. If you don't care about the lock, you can always just jam a screw driver in there and twist real hard. These old locks are not as sophisticated as car locks.

From there, I've disassembled locks and pulled out all the pins that make is specific to a key. Reassemble then any key will turn it.

If you don't want to go through all that, often there will be numbers stamped one the face of the lock. Either a Honda dealer or some places on the internet can make a key from those numbers.

I see this thread is about a month old, but the 77 and 78 fuel doors have "dummy" locks. They are just a latch and any key that will fit in the slot (and any screwdriver or other thin tool for that matter) will open them. Don't bugger it up with a monster screwdriver! These are NLA and getting hard to find. Just slip in any key that will fit the slot and turn.

Easy-peasy!

Back