• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1975 SOHC cam replacement

75-750k

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Howdy! I have a 1975 SOHC that has a broken cam. I have found a bunch of super sport cams on ebay, but I don't know if that will work on my non super sport?

They can be used but you have to get an adjustable cam sprocket and do some degreeing in as they are slightly more aggressive. The standard cams are very common on ebay I just found 10...should be easy to find. Did the cam break in half? Are the bearings in one cam tower destroyed?Problem is I am guessing that one half of the cam seized in the cam tower and that is what broke the cam. This is due to no oil to one side of the head...more than likely the oil orfice in the head is plugged but it could be plugged down in the case. Another problem is if you put a different cam in with the old rocker arms you will cause excessive wear on the cam and the rocker arms and ruin both...just like never put old lifters on a new cam in a flat tappet motor...they get mated to each other. If you can find a used cam and the rocker arms have been kept in the correct positions on the cam then you are good to go but if you use a different cam then you need to send your rocker arms off to be hard welded and reground which costs about $500.

And yes, I found the plugged office and cleaned it out. the cam bearings are pretty shot on the right side especially, so all of that is getting replaced too

Sounds like you're a couple of hours from me. I have a couple of extra engines and thought you might want to see if there was anything you might need, but that's a pretty long drive when you can get stuff delivered to your door off Ebay.

Back